How To Build A Cycle Park In 60 Seconds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psamathe

Whenever I go touring into the Netherlands I am so envious of the cycle facilities, commitment, investment, etc. Whilst I appreciate the UK faces different challenges, we don't even seem to be trying.

But a good video about building the new Cycle Park at Amsterdam Railway Station. Hi-tech e.g. lights showing which areas are full and which have how many spaces.

Ian
Edit: Correction of "do" to "don't" - what a typo and I hope it was obviously a typo as could anybody think the UK is "trying" with regard to cycling?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That looked more like a Boat Park! :laugh:

All uphill

Still rolling along
And it's not just showpiece city centres that get this level of vision and infrastructure; here's a photo of the entrance to the underground cycle parking in a suburb of Groningen.

20221009_114944.jpg

We are so far behind and we don't even know it.

Slick

Guru
I was very aware on my last visit, that I was drooling over multi storey bike parks, with the one at Utrecht railway station a particular thing of beauty. We need to be grateful for wheel benders on the pavement. :sad:

scragend

I've seen all the works going on in front of Centraal the last few times I've been to Amsterdam. I hadn't clocked that this was what they were building.

Looking forward to parking in it ^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've seen all the works going on in front of Centraal the last few times I've been to Amsterdam. I hadn't clocked that this was what they were building.

Looking forward to parking in it ^_^

Very difficult to park a bike anywhere else now in Amsterdam; on my last visit I saw that leaving a bike locked to a bridge or lamppost will rapidly result in the bike being removed by the gemeente (council).

Dedicated areas are marked for cycle parking, but these were all jammed.

It did make walking round the city much more enjoyable, however.

Top Bottom