How to buy a Touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
How about this beauty, if it's the right size?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394898646659

That's the big/boy version of mine!!! Gutted my son is too tall so we can't have matching bikes.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

It's entirely possible to select all your components in advance and have them on a wishlist or in your basket ready for overnight delivery (in the Western world).

That's one I will have on my list. I carry far too many spares now "just in case" so that would help me lighten the load while still having some confidence about fixing a bike if I get caught out. You should add it to the Top Touring Tips if it is not already there.

One thing I'd definitely consider for a bike I would have for a long time is S&S coupling or even a folding bike. Plane transport cost is at an historical low and won't stay that way. Train transport is the future, especially in Europe.

S&S coupling is perhaps a bit too esoteric for my needs but I understand it would be something so the serious tourer. Renfe, the Spanish Rail operator, is getting picky on taking fully assembled bikes on it's trains now. Interesting video on how to chose and pack a S&S coupled bike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdpKt_XsliQ

Off to see a Genesis dealer about a Tour de Fer later today, and Spa have come back with some suggestions but that means a weekend away. I'm on the South Coast. I've got the invitation to see a Sonder Camino in London so I'll start with these 3-4 models.

Appreciate the comments @HobbesOnTour . I've read about your own adventures.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes I would prefer a steel frame myself especially if touring in the back of beyond but for more normal destinations then I could live with an alloy frame

I was thinking more of the vibration through the frame, steel being much more comfortable on long rides but then I'm getting old so the road 'buzz' gets my wrists and before anyone says 'carbon fork' I for one don't trust plastic.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Older style touring and audax bikes are really great value now, new and secondhand, with everyone wanting a gravel bike.

I guess there's a decision for the OP; what is their priority, the journey or having a nice new bike? I understand both.

If it's the journey get a steel tourer secondhand, or new from Thorn or Spa.

If its about having a nice new bike then there's lots of choice out there.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

It’s going to be difficult to get a new bike. Checked the two LBS. The first which had a good rep for road bikes has gone all electric. The second which is one the Genesis site as a dealer says he doesn’t sell tourers as there is little demand.

May have to go second hand and take a chance

May have to go second hand and take a chance

I would say my fettled Horizon is at least as reliable as a new bike from an average bike shop. I wouldn't want to go on a long trip on something that wasn't bedded in.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Looks the right spec.

Thanks to all the help here, I've got a list of frames/models in mind that are close to the wheelbase, reach etc that would suit. Now looking at groupsets that are being offered which seem to be in entry/mid range level - 105, Tiagra, Sora, Apex, Rival. Bit confused with some of the mix and max sets that are about, based on running into replacement sourcing problems before. Will be spending a lot of time reading groupset threads here so I can get my head around what should match.

Don't need the bike until early 2024 as the next big tour is not until March or May. Have a number of bikes on my Ebay wishlist and have put in bids on a few. We'll see.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Looks the right spec.

Thanks to all the help here, I've got a list of frames/models in mind that are close to the wheelbase, reach etc that would suit. Now looking at groupsets that are being offered which seem to be in entry/mid range level - 105, Tiagra, Sora, Apex, Rival. Bit confused with some of the mix and max sets that are about, based on running into replacement sourcing problems before. Will be spending a lot of time reading groupset threads here so I can get my head around what should match.

Don't need the bike until early 2024 as the next big tour is not until March or May. Have a number of bikes on my Ebay wishlist and have put in bids on a few. We'll see.

Just my thoughts on drivetrains for a tourer; 105 is lovely to use on a quick road bike, ime, but I'm glad I chose Sora for my tourer - parts are cheaper and in combination with some nice low ratios it does all I need. As you will know the most important gear on a laden tourer is the lowest one. I have a 30/40 bottom gear and it gets used.

This. A thousand times this:
Just my thoughts on drivetrains for a tourer; 105 is lovely to use on a quick road bike, ime, but I'm glad I chose Sora for my tourer - parts are cheaper and in combination with some nice low ratios it does all I need. As you will know the most important gear on a laden tourer is the lowest one. I have a 30/40 bottom gear and it gets used.

I've got a list of frames/models in mind that are close to the wheelbase, reach etc that would suit.
OK, that's the big ticket item narrowed down.....

Will be spending a lot of time reading groupset threads here so I can get my head around what should match.
If you expect to, or take comfort from the idea of being able to get replacements along the way then I'd suggest minimising any unnecessary complications. Or at least take really good notes! There's a big difference between figuring it all out at home and recalling it, then explaining it to someone else - perhaps in a foreign language.

Just curious.....
I carry far too many spares now "just in case" so that would help me lighten the load while still having some confidence about fixing a bike if I get caught out.
What spares do you typically carry on a 2 week tour?

I think if you're most interested in buying a bike with parts that are available in as many parts of the world as possible, you should have something with a 7 or 8 speed triple. Thumb/barend shifters work with anything, and effectively there's one standard now.

Mid range Shimano stuff for me. When you start to get into the realms of high end components, you're paying for finish rather than durability. Take cassettes for example - there is no improvement in shifting performance with alloy cassettes, they're just lighter and shinier. Pressed steel cassettes are much more durable.

I also think you're in danger of going down a rabbit hole. You are very unlikely to have any mechanical failures on a machine that's been properly set up and serviced if you're only going away for two weeks. So have what you like!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
My friend and his then girlfriend did the LEJOG, he did it on a custom built tourer and she did it on a old Halfords hybrid that had been sat at the back of the garage for years. She had no problems with her bike on the trip. He had a couple of punctures and the chain either snapped or fell off (I cant remember exactly).
Anyway, the point I'm making is that as long as its the correct size and in good working order I'm sure you will be alright with whatever? I'd just get something fit for purpose and within your budget. If you go to a reputable store they will help you and not rip you off.

Top Bottom