How to buy a Touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E

Emanresu

There is a lot of collective experience on sites like this so appreciate the comments as it will shape the decision.

As an ex-metal basher I can see the merit in simplicity and standardisation to avoid issues out in the wild.

I may though have a bit of self indulgence if a bargain with a titanium frame comes along.

vickster

Legendary Member
Spa do several good value Ti models, sometimes have ex display bargains

I may though have a bit of self indulgence if a bargain with a titanium frame comes along.

Hmmm. I had one Ti bike years ago but I wouldn't have one again. Very nice, but TBH I can't see the advantage of one for touring.

Not that I think it really makes a difference. You have bikes that work for you, and bikes that don't. I don't believe the stories about the repairability or otherwise of steel - maybe with 531 tubes in reasonable thickness, but when you start looking at the more esoteric tubes I think you're missing the point - for me, one of the defining features of a touring bike is it isn't that special. Well made and comfortable, but there's no reason for it to be stupidly lightweight.

For example, I would never have an 853 touring bike. If you look at secondhand listings you see proportionally far more dented 853 frames than you do 531/631 ones.

The walls are thinner because it's stronger, but that also means it's easier to put a dink in the tubes. Better if you want to ride without luggage, but that's not touring, is it?

Falsesummat

One can overthink bike details, the lady that cycled LEJOG on a Halfords bike is a case in point. In 2021 my son and i cycled LEJOG. His bike set up was a canyon endurace 2015 with rim brakes, 50/34chainset and 12/25 cassette. Hes in his 20s , very fit and he rode what he had. I rode a genesis CDF, hydraulic grx brakes, 46/30 chainset and 11/32 cassette. Im a fairly fit 62 year old but even though i had relatively low gears my son had to wait at the top of every hill. Being fit makes all the difference. His ultegra rim brakes were more than adequate, we both carried around 6 kg kit, so not loaded, but also not supported either. I have been for rides on my genesis CDF, loaded with 15 kg in panniers, bar bag and 4 litre frame bag. Very stable bike

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hmmm. I had one Ti bike years ago but I wouldn't have one again. Very nice, but TBH I can't see the advantage of one for touring.

Not that I think it really makes a difference. You have bikes that work for you, and bikes that don't. I don't believe the stories about the repairability or otherwise of steel - maybe with 531 tubes in reasonable thickness, but when you start looking at the more esoteric tubes I think you're missing the point - for me, one of the defining features of a touring bike is it isn't that special. Well made and comfortable, but there's no reason for it to be stupidly lightweight.

For example, I would never have an 853 touring bike. If you look at secondhand listings you see proportionally far more dented 853 frames than you do 531/631 ones.

The walls are thinner because it's stronger, but that also means it's easier to put a dink in the tubes. Better if you want to ride without luggage, but that's not touring, is it?

This is an excellent exposition of just that

https://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cycling-article-blog/163-steel-tubing-for-cycle-tourists

Gillstay

Über Member
It’s going to be difficult to get a new bike. Checked the two LBS. The first which had a good rep for road bikes has gone all electric. The second which is one the Genesis site as a dealer says he doesn’t sell tourers as there is little demand.

May have to go second hand and take a chance

I don't see that its much of taking a chance. Most touring bikes are looked after by people who care and have funds to buy such an expensive item. I bought an steel Orbit from Bulgaria on e bay and it was perfect. I just wished I had bought it sooner as it put my aluminium Specialized to shame. Rock steady hurting down hills and comfortable.

Jameshow

Veteran

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Have indulged. Waiting for an Ebay second hand to be delivered over the next week. We'll see if it's a keeper or has to go back on Ebay.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

OP
OP
E

Emanresu

Bike (Titus Silk Road Ti) is on its way. Got the hydraulic brakes and the 1x gears I wanted but likely shouldn't have, plus a Ti frame.

It's a gravel set up with a rigid fork and lighter tyres but what I like about it, is I can change it over to a hardtail like this one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjcPVJN0EQ

More of an outfitting question now. Should I have it in bikepack mode (at additional cost) or get a pannier rack (steel on a Ti frame?). Bikepacking mode seems to be the usual choice.

Jameshow

Veteran
Bike (Titus Silk Road Ti) is on its way. Got the hydraulic brakes and the 1x gears I wanted but likely shouldn't have, plus a Ti frame.

It's a gravel set up with a rigid fork and lighter tyres but what I like about it, is I can change it over to a hardtail like this one.

More of an outfitting question now. Should I have it in bikepack mode (at additional cost) or get a pannier rack (steel on a Ti frame?). Bikepacking mode seems to be the usual choice.

Depends on the type of touring your doing? Camping - panniers
b+b/ hostel - bike packing ime.

All uphill

Still rolling along

I've removed rack and panniers from my light tourer and substituted them with a big saddlebag and bar bag; works well for me.

Congratulations on the new bike!

There's a reason I rarely contribute anything but the most general thoughts on these types of threads - that's not the type of bike I imagined based on what you were looking for at all. It just goes to show how malleable the terms "tourer" and "touring" are. Or maybe how little I know about bikes! ^_^
Just as a matter of interest, what's the wheelbase of that bike?

You should have it whatever way you want. Doesn't matter much what's usual if you don't enjoy it or prefer something else.

I think you'd struggle to carry 15kg in a bikepacking setup, though, so maybe time to refine the packing list. Never having done any bikepacking I imagine the constant precision packing and unpacking could be quite an adjustment for me after using panniers so long.

There are titanium racks available too. Probably cost more than my bike though ^_^.

Anyway, there's loads of time to have a think about it and figure out what works for you and bike.

Camping - panniers
b+b/ hostel - bike packing ime.
In fairness, not necessarily. The OP has said previously they do B&B, not camping. Posters here like @chriswoody use a bikepacking setup and camp.

I believe there are now bikepacking panniers available.

A great advantage of panniers, especially rolltops like the ortliebs, is the ability to open up a pannier and throw a load of bread, buns, a bottle of vino and whatever else may be fancied for a picnic. I'm not so sure that a bikepacking setup would be as easy.
Another, in very hot parts of the world, is the ability to store a bottle of cold water for later in the day.

Top Bottom