How to check a used Carbon bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
thing is with press in bottom brackets if frame on bike is not %100 then they will cause endless fun, heres an interesting clip shows how little the frame needs to be out of line to stress out bottom bracket. 0.1mm, to me thats about the thickness of paint? dont know if that would effect threaded but who knows?

Fun isn't the word I would use to describe it. It's a pain in the arse, and boils down to crap engineering. Theoretically, all this stuff is great - but not if you can't be bothered to manufacture it within close tolerances. The reason comes down to cost; which rises rapidly the tighter your manufacturing limits are because you get more rejected parts and more labour time needed on quality control. If you allow any old shite go out of the factory gate and let the customer worry about it, your costs come right down and any resulting creaking problem can always be blamed on the customer's choice of saddle!
I daresay the fit tolerances in threaded BB's can also vary a lot, especially in brazed frames subjected to a lot of heat during fabrication. It would be interesting for that YouTube engineering bloke to get hold of an old low-end brazed gas pipe roadster frame like my Puch and do some accurate measurements on it for comparison! I suspect the smaller axle diameters and cup & cone bearings of conventional BB's allow misalignment to be absorbed by adjustment so it does not cause any issues. Even the cheapest bikes I ride, that you would not expect to have great factory QC, do not creak!

Pretty pissed at having to do what I feel is a repair on a £3.5k bike - But with Kuota/Shop refusing a replacement frame - I am pretty much out of options

I wouldn't be best pleased at being taken for a mug by someone who had banked a large wedge of my cash and then supplied me with a substandard item either.
The seller of one of my used purchases neglected to mention the collapsed ball race in the BB, but it was a 27 year old £15 bike not a new £3.5k one, and I fixed it at zero cost using the BB taken out of a dumped BSO. You expect and accept some problems with cheap & cheerful secondhand stuff, but I wouldn't accept it on a new bike I had paid a lot of money for. I'll keep riding old-school steel, and opt out of all the grief caused by shoddily made carbon machinery.

Last edited:
Check all the easy things first in the chance its not the BB, good luck.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sto...e&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_xECKXaHOBNiV1fAP45WkiAI28

OK - A little more meat on the bones of the story.

Initially when I returned the kuota - the shop admitted the BB was lose - but they said this was a problem with the BB - not the frame - I don't think I have ever truly believed that (rightly or wrongly)

Kuota are adamant that each creak is down to something different - namely the brooks saddle and a lose thru axle and that I can keep the bikes creak free by 'Modern bike routine maintenance' - They aren't budging.

My only choice is an independent inspection and then take the case to the small claims court. I am about to have some surgery - so nothing is happening soon. I just think is pretty poor from kuota (3rd Kuota I have owned) - my theory is that replacing one creaking frame would open the flood gates for many replacements - hence why they are so reluctant to do it - that said a guy at the club I am in had a giant replaced in very similar circumstances. - even more annoying is that I nearly brought a giant - but opted for a kuota - big mistake

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive had a lot more problems with screw in BBs
My new marin bike it lasted 2 rides and sized
Admitted i do ride in thick muddy and wet trails at times

Push fit, i had a click on my carbon cube bike and that was a quick fix.

Headset bearings... Loads
Wheelset bearings even more...

Reactions: DSK

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
OK - A little more meat on the bones of the story.

Initially when I returned the kuota - the shop admitted the BB was lose - but they said this was a problem with the BB - not the frame - I don't think I have ever truly believed that (rightly or wrongly)

Kuota are adamant that each creak is down to something different - namely the brooks saddle and a lose thru axle and that I can keep the bikes creak free by 'Modern bike routine maintenance' - They aren't budging.

I've since watched the Cervelo BB video put out by the same guy. He's slagged them off something rotten and said their engineering is utter shite, yet I bet they haven't dared to threaten him with legal action. Why? Because the guy knows his engineering, and he would run rings round them if a case ever got to court.
In your case I would start asking the manufacturer for all the BB dimensions and tolerances, and get them to confirm in writing they are manufacturing their frames within the recommended tolerances stated by the BB manufacturer. The idea being to get them to admit in writing they knowingly sold you a product that the BB could not work properly fitted into. You might find all of a sudden that they decide maybe a new frame is needed.....

I've since watched the Cervelo BB video put out by the same guy. He's slagged them off something rotten and said their engineering is utter shite, yet I bet they haven't dared to threaten him with legal action. Why? Because the guy knows his engineering, and he would run rings round them if a case ever got to court.
In your case I would start asking the manufacturer for all the BB dimensions and tolerances, and get them to confirm in writing they are manufacturing their frames within the recommended tolerances stated by the BB manufacturer. The idea being to get them to admit in writing they knowingly sold you a product that the BB could not work properly fitted into. You might find all of a sudden that they decide maybe a new frame is needed.....

There isn't a Kuota uk - so I have to deal with the importer. From my dealings so far I would staggered if they supplied such info.

Kuota Italy - other than post I have no way of contacting them - (the email on there website bounces - and had done for few years - go figure)

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Wow, amazing response and quite some information to take in.

I was hoping to go and look at a Specialized 2010 roubaix, offering the seller £350 (advertised at £400) but he didn't get back to me. As a result, I am buying a CC forum member's carbon Boardman which despite being used, has been upgraded and owned by someone who knows a thing or two about bikes so fairly certain its a safe bet.

Top Bottom