How to cut a carbon steerer tube?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by TheDoctor, 4 Jan 2008.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Moderator

I've cut alloy steerers - new blade, mitre box, measure 3 times, saw, job done - but what's the best thing to cut carbon ones with?
    I'm concerned about delaminating the edge, and I know to wear a mask. I like my lungs to work!:smile:
    Cheers.

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

A whack with a fecking great hammer and a cold chisel is as good as anything, but if you want to do it the namby pamby mechanics way then use a new, good quality hacksaw blade. A bit of insulating tape over the cutting area is said to stop the lacquer chipping off as you saw, and a bit of emery to clean the edge up afterwards.

For a straight clean cut use an old stem as a guide.

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

That is the worst advice I have ever read on a cycling forum.

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Just scratch it a bit in the right place and bend it across yer knee 'til it snaps.

You lot fuss too much over your so-called space-age bike bits.

4. longers

longers Veteran

5. yenrod

yenrod Guest

I would tape it then saw but maybe thats wrong.

6. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

7. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

8. CarnageAX

CarnageAX New Member

I work with carbon fibre every day in the aerospace business and it will be fine to use a hacksaw ... no delaminations clean accurate cut every time.

9. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

Don't cut it at all.

Just get lots of different colour/material spacers and you'll have plenty of opportunity to "bling" your bike. :tongue:

10. OP
    OP
    TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Moderator

So just chewing it off isn't the best bet?:tongue:

Cheers everyone. While I love the idea of a dirty great stack of spacers, I'll probably be boring and get a hacksaw to it.

11. simonali

simonali Über Member

Really high handlebars are in fashion, aren't they? :biggrin:

I watched one being done once and they used a clamp on guide and a boggo hacksaw. May've been a 32tpi blade, but I can't remember that much detail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice