How to cut a carbon steerer tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've cut alloy steerers - new blade, mitre box, measure 3 times, saw, job done - but what's the best thing to cut carbon ones with?
I'm concerned about delaminating the edge, and I know to wear a mask. I like my lungs to work!:smile:
Cheers.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A whack with a fecking great hammer and a cold chisel is as good as anything, but if you want to do it the namby pamby mechanics way then use a new, good quality hacksaw blade. A bit of insulating tape over the cutting area is said to stop the lacquer chipping off as you saw, and a bit of emery to clean the edge up afterwards.

For a straight clean cut use an old stem as a guide.

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
A whack with a fecking great hammer and a cold chisel is as good as anything

That is the worst advice I have ever read on a cycling forum.

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Just scratch it a bit in the right place and bend it across yer knee 'til it snaps.

You lot fuss too much over your so-called space-age bike bits.

CarnageAX

I work with carbon fibre every day in the aerospace business and it will be fine to use a hacksaw ... no delaminations clean accurate cut every time.

Number14

Veteran
Don't cut it at all.

Just get lots of different colour/material spacers and you'll have plenty of opportunity to "bling" your bike. :tongue:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
So just chewing it off isn't the best bet?:tongue:

Cheers everyone. While I love the idea of a dirty great stack of spacers, I'll probably be boring and get a hacksaw to it.

simonali

Guru
Really high handlebars are in fashion, aren't they? :biggrin:

I watched one being done once and they used a clamp on guide and a boggo hacksaw. May've been a 32tpi blade, but I can't remember that much detail.

Top Bottom