How to determine if a bike frame size fits you? (hybrid bikes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

What should I look out for to know if a bike frame size and geometry fits well for me?

Originally, I thought one of the criteria was having at least 1-2 inches of clearance between the top bar and your groin if you stand feet flat on the ground over the bike. But apparently this isn't a necessary requirement, and that I should use other factors such as the distance between the seat post and the handle bars and the difference in height between the two. But what should I be looking for exactly, like how much bend there is in my elbow while riding?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
All this elbow bent, standover height, front skewer obscured by the bars stuff doesn't replace a good old fashioned test ride.

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

All this elbow bent, standover height, front skewer obscured by the bars stuff doesn't replace a good old fashioned test ride.

I will be going for test rides. But seeing as I'm right on the borderline between two frame sizes (according to their recommended heights) and I'm not experienced at all with bikes, I'd probably not notice much difference between the two in comfort, at least not in the short time I'll be riding them. But in the interest of not developing any injuries in the long run, I imagine one of the sizes would be better suited. So I'm wondering if theres anything I should notice.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Handlebars close to seat height gives a relaxed riding position - it's what I would aim for on a hybrid.

Arms slightly bent helps with shock absorption and makes steering easier.

The saddle will go forward and backwards a little which can sort the arm position, if the rest of the fit suits you.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If between sizes go for the more comfortable one.
Which will mostly be the smaller size. Frames that are too large always feel unwieldy.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have two bikes and both have different geometry and yet, I feel comfortable on both of them despite one being having a smaller frame than the other.

Simmo

Different bike brands have different sizings, some go up 56cm 58cm 60 cm (evens) whilst others go up odd numbers, if your in between sizes pick the brand that sizes best for you.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Pointlessly argumentative and tells us nothing.

But other than that, a valuable contribution.
Enlighten us as to why saddle fore/aft can be used to change the angle of your arms then. Last I checked, saddle fore/aft is relative to your knees and is set before the bars are touched.

This is fairly standard bikefit how-to...

Last edited:
Top Bottom