How to finally put a stop to cold & silent callers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Lets all do this and push to purge the poo from our telephone lines mobile and land all over the world once and for all.

What is more annoying then repeatedly going to the phone to find that the auto caller has already hung up or numerous calls to your answering machine with no message wearing it out. Or those calls to your mobile from someone in some far flung third world backwater who can barely speak or understand your language.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, good on him! Just heard that on the radio.^_^

Night Train

Maker of Things
That should become a legal thing. If they call they have to pay for your time at a standard rate, no if, no buts, and regardless of whether it is a solicited call or not.

Or better still Nuke the companies from orbit, it is the only way to be sure!^_^

TVC

If it's a recorded message then don't hang up, leave the phone and let the message run out. While the computer is dumping its dross to your line it's not bothering someone else. The business model relies on people hanging up if they're not interested.

Again for a recorded message that gives you an option 'press 2 to speak to one of our representatives' then press 2 and say nothing. Once more it messes with the business model.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If it's a recorded message then don't hang up, leave the phone and let the message run out. While the computer is dumping its dross to your line it's not bothering someone else. The business model relies on people hanging up if they're not interested.

Again for a recorded message that gives you an option 'press 2 to speak to one of our representatives' then press 2 and say nothing. Once more it messes with the business model.

Good thinking! I do tend to put the phone down straight away, usually with a bang and an expletive, but that's only satisfying my anger!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Not sure about that.

Although I do like the idea of wasting their time I was always told that the initial button that you press actually confirms that you have picked up the call. As such they know you are a real person and not just some defunct line or extension. This can encourage more calls from automated systems who then identify you as a person.

I know this is certainly true of spam mail ( never click on the images or links on those) and thought the logic sounded correct for calls too.

On that basis, I just hang up.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just have something which plays music beside the phone and when you get someone, just play it at them, telling them that their call is important to you and will be answered as soon as possible whilst you wander off and make a cup of tea or whatever! :laugh:

TVC

Not sure about that.

Although I do like the idea of wasting their time I was always told that the initial button that you press actually confirms that you have picked up the call. As such they know you are a real person and not just some defunct line or extension. This can encourage more calls from automated systems who then identify you as a person.

I know this is certainly true of spam mail ( never click on the images or links on those) and thought the logic sounded correct for calls too.

On that basis, I just hang up.

The point is that I've tied up their dialer, so it's not bothering anyone else. If everyone did this it greatly reduces the calls/hour they get from the equipment

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The point is that I've tied up their dialer, so it's not bothering anyone else. If everyone did this it greatly reduces the calls/hour they get from the equipment
I see that. However I think it *may* (I'm not sure) also greatly increase the number of automated calls you get. Plus, I think the digital way in which the calls are made means that even the smallest server has capacity to mike zillions every hour, so I doubt you're really tying them up that much.

I like it though, I may give it a go.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a shame this gent commited a criminal offence by recording the telephone calls

That should become a legal thing.
It already is. Charging, or at least threatening to charge the other party for your time is an old but little known tactic, and most big firms know it can be made to stick. I typically charge £100 per hour in 6 minute increments, and £50 per letter received or sent, rather less than most solicitors would charge so in no way could it be deemed unreasonable in court.

I once started 'billing' Vodafone in this way and they very quickly moved to settled the dispute.

ASC1951

Guru
I registered with TPS some time ago. It seems to be doing the trick OK.
It doesn't stop calls from overseas spammers, I'm afraid.

My most recent calls have been from this shower of sh1te http://www.purplepigclaims.co.uk who not only break the terms of their MoJ authorisation but have the effing nerve to masquerade under the same name as an entirely legitimate outfit from Croydon - although you would struggle to find it from their website, they are actually a Dutch or Luxembourg outfit.

Top Bottom