How to find new cycling routes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

urgh i dont use them unless im in deep dodoo otherwise a good brekkie , a flapjack or teacake at the cake stopand maybe a cliff bar are enough for me
I just find them very convenient. I sometimes have a trek flapjack. If I was going on a very long ride, then the oreos and vegan gummies are coming.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I just find them very convenient. I sometimes have a trek flapjack. If I was going on a very long ride, then the oreos and vegan gummies are coming.
i like the trek flapjacks too :smile:
gels are an instant sugar buzz though and not really designed for long rides apart from a get you home boost , anything under a couple of hours you should have enough energy to not carry extra anyway .

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

i like the trek flapjacks too :smile:
gels are an instant sugar buzz though and not really designed for long rides apart from a get you home boost , anything under a couple of hours you should have enough energy to not carry extra anyway .
I just take an energy gel midway through. And I usually go for at least 2 hours, but the hills take it out of me sometimes :/ If it was 2 hours in flat London then I wouldn't take any food with me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go in to your Strava settings and you will find an option to hide your start and end point from everyone except yourself. There are various options from memory I have mine set to hide my rides within a ½ mile radius of home.
Change it every so often, else given enough rides, we can make surprisingly accurate guesses, enough to give an experienced thief few enough homes to check.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Change it every so often, else given enough rides, we can make surprisingly accurate guesses, enough to give an experienced thief few enough homes to check.
I've often thought that. Presumably you end up with something looking like a bicycle wheel from the side with your home where a missing hub should be!

JonBuoy

Veteran
How do you find on these Kamoot rides where the unpaved region is in the route?
NB I am not a Komoot user but:

Using a PC:

Click on the ride
Click on Customize - open in planner
On the left hand side of the page there is a section with warnings. In this case it warns about steps and poor surface at 69.3k.
Click on the distance and the map zooms to the problem and it is pretty clear how to avoid it.

I have no sense of direction. Don't do paper maps and can't use a compass and don't think I ever will use those 2 things. The worst is you can't go home and you're stranded riding up and down random country lanes. I happily go random places on my bike in London because I know it quite well and can always find a way home but don't know Nottinghamshire at all- still after 1 year I hardly know the place...

Have a look for the Outlaw Triathlon route. 112 miles from Holme Pierpoint I think and not a hill on the route. I think it's two laps if memory serves.

It's impossible to get lost these days with phones. Oh and on Google maps you can download the area so it doesn't matter if you have no service. Your GPS will always locate you.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Have a look for the Outlaw Triathlon route. 112 miles from Holme Pierpoint I think and not a hill on the route. I think it's two laps if memory serves.

It's impossible to get lost these days with phones. Oh and on Google maps you can download the area so it doesn't matter if you have no service. Your GPS will always locate you.
I looked at their route, looks good. I'll probably do one of the loops on one day and do the 2nd loop on a different day. Need to download it onto strava. Sometimes I don't know why I even have strava and I'm tempted to cancel it and get ride with GPS. Thank you for the route. :wub:

Brooks

I enjoy looking at maps and planning routes, it's really the best way to remember routes as well. What I have found is cycle streets is a very good app that shows cycle routes all over the country. I've just had a look at Nottingham and it shows the NCRs in the area and local routes are also clearly visible. Planning a loop based on the river Trent looks like an interesting thing to have a crack at.
I don't use strava or GPS so I wouldn't have a clue there. Plan a route and go out and do it that way it's your own and you'll start to do that wherever you go. Good luck.

Top Bottom