1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to fit bar ends

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Moonchester, 13 May 2008.

1. Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

I've been given a pair of bar ends - Bontrager ski - but I'm not sure how to fit them. They have what seems to be the standard bolt and clamp fitting. My handlebars and grips look pretty ordinary too.
    So, do I need to remove anything from the handlebar or do I just fit the clamp over the top of the grip? Should I buy a new grip or try to roll it back to expose the tube of the handlebars?

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

If you want to retain the width of grip then you need to loosen the bolts holding the brake levers and gear shifters, and move them inwards a distance equal to the width of the bar ends. Then push your grips inwards, and bolt the ends onto the bare bit of bar you now have on the end. If the grips have a closed end then you'll need to cut these off. You may also need to get a plug for the bar end. And don't forget to tighten everything up again!

Alternatively, you can buy narrower grips and put these on instead of the ones you have at the moment.

3. OP
    OP
    Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

Thanks Mister Paul. I've just managed to fit them. Getting the grips to move in an inch was tough on my fairy soft hands but it looks great now. Just as I wanted it.