How to hide the cables under the handlebar tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My Son has the Sora Flightdeck shifters and I’ve tidied the cables up with a simple Velcro cable tidy

CharlesF

Guru
You would be a lot happier if you spent more time riding the bike than you do moaning about things you want to change on a bike that you selected.

You have a very good bike for a beginner cyclist, so Just get yourself out there riding and building up experience to use to guide your next buy.
A bit harsh for an innocent question.

faster

Über Member
I'll be guessing you have not ridden far at night this decade with a bar-mounted front light and washing line gear cables.

You'll be guessing wrong then.

I have (numerous long overnight audaxes including LEL and PBP), and I have a 'different view' (he says politely) - the effect of (black) cable back-scatter and any effect on 'night vision' is minimal.

Some top drawer willy waving there, and I love how irrelevant to the thread it is.

I like to be able to see equally well at night on both short and long rides, but thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you didn't like 'washing line' cables ruining your night vision, why did you carry on riding with them then (or choosing that bike to ride in the dark)?
Thank you for complementing my favourite chest of drawers: it was made by my father.
and I love how irrelevant to the thread it is.
I like to be able to see equally well at night on both short and long rides . .
Well you're saying what you think is a disadvantage of STI side entering gear cables; and I'm disagreeing, indicating where I'm drawing my experience from (add evening riding to a distant pub weekly through the year). Presumably the OP has a motive for the question and that's worth chatting about, no?
CycleChat threads are sometimes like that: divert off specific topic (hide cables under bartape) to share riders' opinions and anecdata eg: the reasons (other than style and tidiness) for under-tape cable runs, and the penalty (some concealed cable run STIs are unreasonably prone to cause the cable to fatigue, fray and part, leaving a knobbed end which is a b****r to get out, sometimes).
Getting in the way of a bar bag is the main drawback for me (and you pointed that out), but one I'll put up with (and do without).
An aero-drag penalty is the other main one. But riders concerned with that are unlikely to be riding 8/9 speed bikes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Morning @faster
I have looked again at the 'washing line' gear cable result in reflected light issue, with my set up.
Any effect on my night vision/illumination of the road is minimised because:
I mount my light underneath (rather than the typical 'on top of') my handlebars, and a couple of inches to the right of the stem clamp on the bars. This means that the core of the beam is clear to the tarmac and only some peripheral light is caught by the (black) cable which causes no shadow (as the light is heading up, not down). I have a small standby (2 x CR2032) light, again on the underside, on the opposite side, with a similar clear beam path to the road ahead.
I commend this as a 'cockpit arrangement'/light position for the reason just given (with side entry cabling) but also because it keeps free the top side of that bit of bar for other stuff.

silva

Über Member
A facelift (cosmetics) idea: buy red and white tape.
Looking from the side (alike the picture) red tape over the cable trajectory from stem backwards, and white tape over the cable trajectory from stem forward. That will break the continuity in the view of the now black cables.
Because I think that is why you don't like the cables: the contrast. Black on red/white. They draw attention like that.

boydj

Legendary Member
A bit harsh for an innocent question.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

The OP is clearly an inexperienced cyclist who has been given a decent beginners bike and has spent a lot of time in this and other threads asking questions about changing various elements of the bike, without really understanding what he's asking about. It seems that he has spent no or very little time actually riding the bike, but seems to have done some reading and looking at bike specs and wants to improve the bike before he's done any real riding on it.

Various people on here have given advice and tried to explain how things work and why they are as they are, and he has been advised to accept things for the moment and get out on the bike to get some experience and learn how things work on the bike he's been given. Until he does that, the questions he's asking asking and the answers he's getting are not doing anything to help him with actually cycling.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom