Repair the bike or buy a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonJuice

My brother bought a bike from Halfords a few years ago for about £350 and he stopped using it for a long time and then a few days ago he tried to use it and the back wheel would not move. The brakes are not working, the chain looks worn and the derailleur is not working at all.

How much will it cost for all of the new parts and for someone to repair the bike at Halfords? Should he bother getting the bike sorted or should he buy a new bike?

Thanks.

alicat

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum @LemonJuice. the only one who can answer that question is Halfords. We will be able to help better if you can tell us a bit more about what is wrong with each of the parts that are not working.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you can do it yourself you'll save a ton of money. Start by cleaning it up and then buy some new cables all round. Remove the wheel and see what is causing the problem. Sounds like weather might have got to it if it's been left outside.
There are a load of how to do videos on YouTube so check them out.
Even if you want to sell it you won't get much in that state.
Any advice you need as you go just ask.
Good luck.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Out of curiosity, what make the bike? Pics?

My advice would be, that if you can fix it yourself, or are prepared to have a go, then follow the advice above. I reckon it would cost £100 minimum to get it serviced. If the drive-train (chain, freewheel/cassette, chainset) need looking at, then at least double that figure.

Otherwise, I would say you have 2 options.
  • sell it as is.
  • attempt to trade it in for a new bike.
edit:
My brother bought a bike from Halfords a few years ago for about £350 and he stopped using it for a long time and then a few days ago he tried to use it and the back wheel would not move. The brakes are not working, the chain looks worn and the derailleur is not working at all.

I think, during the current lockdown, that there are thousands of instances of the above, all across the country.

Last edited:

DSK

Sounds like its been ridden in the elements and then just stashed.

I'd go with the advise above and try and repair it yourself. Get the parts and have a go. If that's not an option, just get a new bike, far easier.

I very much doubt you'll be able to trade it in unless its an independent bike shop and even they are likely to just say its scrap in light of issues/value. Probably best to advertise on Gumtree and see if someone local can make use of it.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

His bike is similar to this one:

https://www.beelinebicycles.co.uk/1...MIxZCI-aWs6QIVDe3tCh28bA7cEAkYASABEgKmS_D_BwE

I just remember that he bought it from Halfords and it’s a few years old.

Unfortunately I’m not clued up on fixing/repairing bikes and I have always just bought bikes. I don’t think my brother has ever fixed/repaired a bike before.

He wants to start cycling again.

What are the parts that he will need to buy?

Is it quite difficult to put parts on a bike? If he chooses to fit the parts himself, won’t he need to buy special tools?

Considering he's going to need to buy pretty much every essential part, would it not be cheaper for him to buy a new bike?

DSK

It won't be a Trek from Halfords.

Taking everything into account, such as previous low purchase price, new parts, potentially not being able to fully repair yourself, long lead times at bike shops its best to get a new or good used bike. This way you can just ride it rather than spend the whole of lock down messing with a bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
There are people who love fixing up bikes and people who don't.

If you could love fixing bikes this the time to start with the help of youtube, but you wont be cycling soon.

If you dont love fixing things sell your old bike to someone who does and buy a new one.

Someone will buy your old one on Gumtree.

Good luck!

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

It won't be a Trek from Halfords.

Taking everything into account, such as previous low purchase price, new parts, potentially not being able to fully repair yourself, long lead times at bike shops its best to get a new or good used bike. This way you can just ride it rather than spend the whole of lock down messing with a bike.

It’s either a Boardman or a Trek. I’m not entirely sure.

Is it possible to buy an old bike from the 1980s or 1990s e.g. an old Raleigh road bike for about £100-200 from eBay and put new stuff on it? Or, are the older bikes not compatible with clipless pedals and a new derailleur, etc?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
a bike from Halfords a few years ago for about £350 and he stopped using it for a long time and then a few days ago he tried to use it and the back wheel would not move. The brakes are not working, the chain looks worn and the derailleur is not working at all.
Why not suggest to him he buys a decent can of WD40 or GT85 (?£4) and give all the parts which should move (avoiding the wheel rims and the brake blocks/pads) a good spraying and general wiggling?
This will likely loosen up the brakes and derailleurs. I bet the chain isn't 'worn' (how could he tell by looking?).
I suggest that without a quick look/physical check of the bike, people can't really can't give you a half decent informed answer to your question. His best port of call is his local bike shop (rather than Halaffords).
I’m not clued up on fixing/repairing bikes and I have always just bought bikes. I don’t think my brother has ever fixed/repaired a bike before.
So the difference is you buy bikes sequentially and he just buys the one. What did you do with the superseded bikes?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Why not suggest to him he buys a decent can of WD40 or GT85 (?£4) and give all the parts which should move (avoiding the wheel rims and the brake blocks/pads) a good spraying and general wiggling?
This will likely loosen up the brakes and derailleurs. I bet the chain isn't 'worn' (how could he tell by looking?).
I suggest that without a quick look/physical check of the bike, people can't really can't give you a half decent informed answer to your question. His best port of call is his local bike shop (rather than Halaffords).

So the difference is you buy bikes sequentially and he just buys the one. What did you do with the superseded bikes?

The pedals will not move forwards or backwards, they are stuck. Since the bike has been left a long time will the wheel hub be seized?

I’ll buy a bottle of WD40 tomorrow. Although it’s not my bike, I’m sure he won’t mind if I try and sort the problems out.

Will it be cheaper to go to a local bike shop? I would actually like to know how to sort things out myself because I want to buy a road bike (I own a mountain bike). Earlier on I bought Lennard Zinn’s book “Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance Book”.

I’ve had a look on YouTube with regards to replacing a wheel hub and it looks relatively easy to replace.

Top Bottom