How to improve my average speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
The rule of thumb is that it is 30% easier to ride in the centre of a group. Solo I can average 15/16 depending on the route. In a group I can hold my own at 18/19 over 70/80 miles though we do usually average around 17 as that's where we feel happiest.

You should be able to find a club with a group run that suits whatever speed you are currently riding at. My number one tip is do NOT ride at the back. Newcomers always do this and struggle. Get in the middle of the pack around the 4/5/6 position to get the most benefit from group riding.

A newcomer to group riding should, with the permission of the group, spend enough time riding at the back to develop the skills and learn the group etiquette and signals. This might take just the early part of the run, or it might take two or three runs depending on the cycling experience of the new group member. It's not easy riding at the back, because every slowing down for corners or traffic means an effort to get back on. But it is safer for everybody than having an inexperienced rider in the middle of a bunch - better to get dropped than bringing down other riders.

Of course this also depends on the group - a club's slow group will probably have a looser structure and a no-drop rule, while the faster groups will have a tight formation and the only concession may be a re-group at the top of longer hills and a wait for mechanicals.

CXRAndy

Guru
Group riding can be hugely rewarding in speed, but it comes with a fair bit of mental commitment. Unless you're on the front, it requires you to cover your brakes at all times, never overlap wheels with the rider in front. listen and watch out for warnings and be aware of obstacle direction changes of the riders in front. It can be quite mentally draining if its a fast paced ride.

I've done solo rides of around 16-18 mph, for 40 miles, club group rides up to 80 miles at 19 mph and a competitive sportive at 21mph over 80miles.

It takes constant riding to build your stamina and pace to go faster. These days I prefer to ride solo or tiny groups to enjoy a steadier pace. Btw most of your riding should be steady Z2 over multiple hours to build a strong endurance base.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I dont really get this point about suggesting he joins a group to increase his average speed. Its the significantly reduced drag thats increasing the speed of the bike, not any adaptations in the bloke doing the pedalling. Why not just tell him to chuck the bike in the back of his car and drive it around the route?!

I dont really get this point about suggesting he joins a group to increase his average speed. Its the significantly reduced drag thats increasing the speed of the bike, not any adaptations in the bloke doing the pedalling. Why not just tell him to chuck the bike in the back of his car and drive it around the route?!
You're forgetting that joining a good group will provide more motivation to be sustainably fast or when you are close to being dropped that motivation to hang on a bit longer (endure). When they are solo they will have developed that sustainability and endurance and go faster. That's what happened to me and I think a few folk have pointed to similar :okay:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
You're forgetting that joining a good group will provide more motivation to be sustainably fast or when you are close to being dropped that motivation to hang on a bit longer (endure). When they are solo they will have developed that sustainability and endurance and go faster. That's what happened to me and I think a few folk have pointed to similar :okay:
Given that OP has already stated "Joining a club never appeals to me ", I think your belief that a group will motivate them is somewhat misplaced. Yeah it would motivate people into that sort of thing, but group cycling does not appeal to all.

Given that OP has already stated "Joining a club never appeals to me ", I think your belief that a group will motivate them is somewhat misplaced. Yeah it would motivate people into that sort of thing, but group cycling does not appeal to all.
You're right it might not motivate them, if they tried it they might find different and it could be an option but hey ho :okay:

Top Bottom