How to increase avg speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I actually was thinking of getting a roadie, but then thought that it would be better to start with a hybrid, as it is less fragile, easier to maintain and gets less punctures.

I mean no criticism of your comment but years ago we used to use our road bikes for off season fun cyclo cross and they survived the winter ready for the following years road season.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I mean no criticism of your comment but years ago we used to use our road bikes for off season fun cyclo cross and they survived the winter ready for the following years road season.

Look at cross bikes now, alu or full carbon frames, carbon deep section rims etc, the only real differences in many cases are the clearances, brake mount type and now the accommodation of disc brakes.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I think with the high quality of materials, design and manufacturing all modern bikes would take a great deal thrown at them. Most of the time it's just personal choice as to what you do with it.

Just about what tyre width really I suppose. The framesets can handle almost anything :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Very happy to use 25s on my audax bike for even very long rides.
If I were commuting I'd prob use my tourer fitted with 700x28... maybe.
Last time I "commuted" in any sense I used 32s and hated it, just so sluggish.

In answer to the original question..... three things:
Miles
Miles
and ... yes you've guessed it ...
More miles

redcard

Veteran
Ride down a big hill. Train back. Repeat. Ride down bigger hill. Train back. Repeat.

Your average speed will go through the farking roof!

Top Bottom