How to keep people cycling through the winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_dombat

I'm doing some voluntary work for one of the new "cycling towns". We have been quite successful to date, with a big increase in cycle journeys this year.

How can we continue to make cycling attractive to people through the winter (to people who probably don't have lots of base layers, merrino wool, etc)?

What sort of events/rides/exhibitions would you suggest?

We don't want to be a "summer cycle demonstration town", we want people to make the shift to use a bike as an everyday mode of transport!

All suggestions welcome.

PK99

Legendary Member
Change the climate

byegad

Legendary Member
I ride all year round. You need to be warm and dry in winter and cool and dry in summer. For this you need the roght clothes and to be aware that humans are in fact waterproof. The only reason not to ride a bike in winter is ice or snow on the roads. I ride recumbent trikes so these don't stop me at least until the snow is deep enough for the rear mech' to start dragging in it!

Most people will ride in less than good weather if they see enough examples of other people doing it.

bonj2

mr_dombat said:
I'm doing some voluntary work for one of the new "cycling towns". We have been quite successful to date, with a big increase in cycle journeys this year.

How can we continue to make cycling attractive to people through the winter (to people who probably don't have lots of base layers, merrino wool, etc)?

What sort of events/rides/exhibitions would you suggest?

We don't want to be a "summer cycle demonstration town", we want people to make the shift to use a bike as an everyday mode of transport!

All suggestions welcome.

Don't bother.
Why do you want to persuade *other* people to cycle - why not just cycle yourself?
If people enjoy cycling, then they'll cycle without being persuaded to. It's a waste of effort coaxing and cajoling people to cycle - I don't see the point - becuase the person it benefits most from cycling is them, so THEY need to be the one to see that it's a really good thing to do for themselves. If they don't see that, then why is it your job to spell it out to them?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Encourage people to see cycling as an everyday activity rather than just for exercise/leisure. So they'd cycle to the shops, library, pub, etc. Hopefully if this is part of a "cycling town" initiative there'll already be lots of suitable cycle stands and signage in place.

And if people are doing short journeys about town they don't necessarily need special clothes and might not get any colder/wetter than waiting for a bus or walking from the car park.

One of my motivations for cycling is to reduce the environmental impact of my car. So I store the bike between the car and the garage door. I HAVE to move the bike to get the car out - most times it's simply easier to use the bike!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Ahh memories......I was out on my MTB when it first started snowing apart from the snow getting in my eyes and not being able to see a thing it was ace fun playing in the snow on our local cycle paths and across the fields :biggrin::

snow_bikepath.jpg

Then the next day I went out in it again but this time it was all solid ice underneath so everytime I tried to get anywhere I just fell off :biggrin::

snow_bikepath2.jpg

A bit of a hassle having to getting all dressed up but good fun anyway (yes I did wear gloves just not in this picture) :

snow2.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Don't bother.
bonj, I think you would also respond negatively if Mr Dombat told us he sat at home all day watching tv and drinking beer. This country owes a great deal to voluntary workers, they should be applauaded, not discouraged.

Don't tell them about base layers and merrino wool, they will just use the lack of these as an excuse for not cycling:biggrin:
Lightweight windproof gear over ordinary clothes, along with gloves and a woolly hat makes cycling pleasant on most winter days.
I think it could be more difficult to keep cycling throughout the year if people are using bicycles just for leisure trips within their local area with no particular target destination. If they can be encouraged to use their bicycles for essential trips, like going to shops or making regular visits to friends and relatives they will continue throughout the year and barely notice the oncoming poor weather.

PS I see some others have been posting similar views whilst I have been composing my post.

bonj2

snorri said:
bonj, I think you would also respond negatively if Mr Dombat told us he sat at home all day watching tv and drinking beer. This country owes a great deal to voluntary workers, they should be applauaded, not discouraged.
Yes I would because that would be likely to make him bored and fat. :biggrin:

snorri said:
Don't tell them about base layers and merrino wool, they will just use the lack of these as an excuse for not cycling:biggrin:

AAAggggh - that phrase really grates - "excuse for not cycling" !! :biggrin: :angry:
Why does anyone NEED an "excuse" for not cycling?
If someone doesn't want to cycle, why should that be a problem ?
Cycling is too great an activity to waste effort cajoling people who don't really want to do it, into it. Instead you could be out cycling yourself.
To me it's just like having a load of luxurious delicious caveat and instead of eating it trying to palm it off on pigs who don't really like it.

Lightweight windproof gear over ordinary clothes, along with gloves and a woolly hat makes cycling pleasant on most winter days.
I think it could be more difficult to keep cycling throughout the year if people are using bicycles just for leisure trips within their local area with no particular target destination. If they can be encouraged to use their bicycles for essential trips, like going to shops or making regular visits to friends and relatives they will continue throughout the year and barely notice the oncoming poor weather.

PS I see some others have been posting similar views whilst I have been composing my post.

The pathetic thing is, a lot of people WANT to be coaxed into cycling - they like the *idea* of cycling, they would like to want to cycle, but they can't really be bothered, so they want others to continually strive to make it ever easier and easier for them.
This 'easing' is a never ending, thankless task so the best policy is not to embark on it in the first place.
That way, the ones that really have got potential of being enthusiastic about cycling are going to let curiosity get the better of them and grip the bull by the horns.

byegad

Legendary Member
Do what I did and add bonj to your ignore list. The odd sensible comment is not worth the rest!

Erm... remind them it's faster than alternate public transport and that instead of waiting in the freezing cold for a bus they could be warming themselves up on the bike?

I've not cycled in the winter yet being a newbie, but am going to do it as long as possible. The only thing I'm worried about is slipping off the bike on ice. Does gritting the road help cyclists as well as cars? If so could you possibly get some cycling lanes / paths etc gritted?

byegad

Legendary Member
snorri said:
You are probably right, but I would like to think I could persuade bonj to become a REAL cyclist some day.;)

Well first you have to persuade him to be a real person! I suspect there are an infinite number of primates somewhere generating his posts.

bonj2

byegad said:
Well first you have to persuade him to be a real person! I suspect there are an infinite number of primates somewhere generating his posts.

Classic case of not liking what's being said but unable to disagree. Symptom - fingers in ears, laaa laa laaa.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
SavageHoutkop said:
Does gritting the road help cyclists as well as cars? If so could you possibly get some cycling lanes / paths etc gritted?
Have a look at your local council's gritting policy.

Here in Cheshire, A roads and routes important for getting Emergency vehicles to and from potential major incidents (I'm guessing for us, that's from the local stations to the M6, probably) have priority, with reducing priority given to roads carrying specified, decreasing volumes of commuters (in cars).

Perhaps predictably, cyclepaths separate from the road, and footpaths are done if all the above have been done and sufficient resources are available. In practice, this meant that they didn't get done at all last winter.

If you have a route that's mostly main roads, and those have been gritted, it's do-able. Riding in ice, however, is not very much fun at all, and makes an excellent way to break your elbow or wrist - if in doubt, wait for the thaw I'd say.

Aside form ice, riding through the winter isn't so bad - make sure you have good lights, good reflectives, and layer up warm.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mr_dombat said:

All suggestions welcome.
A give away of lights & reflectives for the winter nights might help (around September, maybe?) Couple that with a leaflet with winter riding tips...

Top Bottom