How to keep people cycling through the winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
nilling said:
"There is no such thing a bad weather - just inappropriate clothing" :laugh:

I say that to myself.

Usually when I'm grinding away into a headwind that's blowing freezing rain into my eyes. And wondering what the right clothes for THAT are ;-)

For the op, I think you have to accept that some people won't ride once it gets dark, and some won't ride once it gets cold. Help the ones that carry on by giving them advice re being seen & staying warm, if you do guided rides for new people, keep them going through the winter.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
SavageHoutkop said:
Erm... remind them it's faster than alternate public transport and that instead of waiting in the freezing cold for a bus they could be warming themselves up on the bike?

I've not cycled in the winter yet being a newbie, but am going to do it as long as possible. The only thing I'm worried about is slipping off the bike on ice. Does gritting the road help cyclists as well as cars? If so could you possibly get some cycling lanes / paths etc gritted?

Why not grit them yourself if you're worried.

Ooh, ta, thanks for the tip. Just found a complete list of roads that get gritted, as well as 'paths' which seem to include (about one) cycle path. (Although, not so helpfully, it keeps mentioning roads and then saying (part) after without saying, well, which part).

marinyork

Just find the local grit bin, take a plastic cup and sprinkle on the cycle path/bad corners. It works out much better than the job the council will do. In anycase this last winter was much worse for ice, most winters haven't been anywhere near as bad as the last one.

Lurker

mr_dombat said:
I'm doing some voluntary work for one of the new "cycling towns". We have been quite successful to date, with a big increase in cycle journeys this year.

How can we continue to make cycling attractive to people through the winter (to people who probably don't have lots of base layers, merrino wool, etc)?

What sort of events/rides/exhibitions would you suggest?

We don't want to be a "summer cycle demonstration town", we want people to make the shift to use a bike as an everyday mode of transport!

All suggestions welcome.

Lots of good replies from other posters (bonj excepted of course;) ).

Definitely important to keep it simple, as otherwise people may be put off by the idea that they 'need' to get lots of gear. Insulating gloves, a waterproof jacket, perhaps also overtrousers (depending on length of journey) and good lights (unless only travelling in daylight; but then there are some murky winter days when lights are probably a good idea) are the essentials - can you recommend some good makes/suppliers, arrange discounts with local retailers?

Other thoughts:

Run some Dr Bike sessions to make sure that brakes/gears/tyres all OK for going into winter. Also important to keep chain oiled and check brakes/tyres routinely, at the very least

Hi-viz freebies

Headgear (whatever variety you prefer) cuts down a *lot* of heat loss

Utility cycling, rather than leisure cycling, makes it easier to keep cycling, as others have said.

Advertise the fact that in the time you might have to spend scraping your car windscreen in icy winter weather, you could be well on your way to work on your bicycle, warm & snug from pedalling

How people store their bicycle also affects how attractive cycling can be compared to other options - see anndonnelly's post.... Do you have funding to help people store their bikes conveniently at home?

bonj2

marinyork said:
Just find the local grit bin, take a plastic cup and sprinkle on the cycle path/bad corners. It works out much better than the job the council will do. In anycase this last winter was much worse for ice, most winters haven't been anywhere near as bad as the last one.

Or better still, build a grit dispenser onto your bike. *You'll* fall off, but at least the newbies who you've encouraged won't.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Or better still, build a grit dispenser onto your bike. *You'll* fall off, but at least the newbies who you've encouraged won't.
I'm sure someone has already modified one of those bike trailer things so that it can be used as a gritter.

If not you should patent the idea, and sell-trailer gritters to local authorities so they can keep their cycle lanes clear.

marinyork

Great idea. The council could even have arguments about why they haven't bought enough bicycle gritters or why they aren't being ridden when it is snowing.

markg0vbr

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
I say that to myself.

Usually when I'm grinding away into a headwind that's blowing freezing rain into my eyes. And wondering what the right clothes for THAT are ;-)

For the op, I think you have to accept that some people won't ride once it gets dark, and some won't ride once it gets cold. Help the ones that carry on by giving them advice re being seen & staying warm, if you do guided rides for new people, keep them going through the winter.

have a go on a recumbent when it is hissing it down:cry:
i have to wear glasses blind without them. so now fitted a visor to my helmet, like you get on a motorbike helmet. mine is fitted with Velcro is only 5cm deep, spray the inside with wax polish and wipe off keeps it fog free. it has made my rainy rides safer as i can see. :biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
bonj said:
Classic case of not liking what's being said but unable to disagree. Symptom - fingers in ears, laaa laa laaa.
Nothing to do with me

bonj said:

Were you thinking of something like this:
http://www.arco.co.uk/products/5772400/18293/Medium_Duty_Towed_Spinner_Type_Salt_Spreader#techTab

As others have said some good comments already made. You could point out that whilst it may start out cold, because of the physical effort they are putting in its never to cold to cycle. Mind over matter.

Half your battle has been won if you have managed to get people cycling.
BTW, Bonj I think has admitted to being a "White Van Man", so take what he says with a pinch of salt. You can use that salt on a cold day.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
mr_dombat said:
I'm doing some voluntary work for one of the new "cycling towns". We have been quite successful to date, with a big increase in cycle journeys this year.

How can we continue to make cycling attractive to people through the winter (to people who probably don't have lots of base layers, merrino wool, etc)?

What sort of events/rides/exhibitions would you suggest?

We don't want to be a "summer cycle demonstration town", we want people to make the shift to use a bike as an everyday mode of transport!

All suggestions welcome.

Take away there cars!!!

You say you don't want to use loads of base layers!!! How else are cyclists going to keep warm????

Hand out free warm gloves!!!

Davidc

Guru
I agree that promoting base layers and 'cycle' clothing is likely to be offputting to your target audience.

FWIW I carry on with utility cycling all year round, and the only cycle specific clothing I normally use are padded gel mittens (under normal thermal gloves in cold weather) and a helmet.

I don't like 'base layers', and just put sweaters, wooly socks, etc. on just as I would if I were walking. I don't get cold. If I need more heat I just pedal harder!

I don't get wet very often. If it's really tipping it down I don't cycle, but a reasonable jacket deals with lesser rain and drizzle, and it doesn't rain all the time, even on wet days.

I suspect that trying to persuade new cyclists to ride in ice or snow isn't going to be of much use. I don't normally, after a number of falls over the years.

I'm not sure what events would help though.

snorri

Legendary Member
DJ said:
You say you don't want to use loads of base layers!!! How else are cyclists going to keep warm????

It was not until signing up to an internet cycling forum that I realised I had been wearing base layers every winter since I started primary education.:smile:

It's not that we don't want to use base layers, it's just a case of not introducing jargon unnecessarily.

A base layer is just marketing speak for a vest, or semmit as we would call them in my part of the world.

Top Bottom