How to keep record of how far travelled and MPH achieved

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitesix

Regular
Please can anyone give me any advice on how to measure how far one has travelled and average MPH on various cycle trips (apart from the obvious of using an old fashioned map and stop watch). As previously stated I am extremely new to this; having only completed 9 rides (averaging ½ hour duration's) so far; returning to cycling to get myself fit after a 48 year break (I am 63 and left cycling when I was 15) and I am finding it painful; but must endure. Things can only get better - hopefully!
I suspect that there are some type of phone apps or something that you attach to the bike.

I do appreciate that at this stage, it is probably something that I should not be concerning myself with, but just as a matter of interest and so that I may be able to observe any small amounts of progress that hopefully I will begin to make in the fullness of time.

Thank you in advance for any economical suggestions.

PS: The only silly questions; are the ones you don't ask or something to that affect?

midlife

Guru
Welcome :smile: There are a number of phone apps but I like the simplicity of my wireless cateye Strada cycle "computer"

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Many cyclists use a Wahoo or Garmin GPS device and upload to Strava. This is quite an expensive option and as you are returning it may be better to leave this for a while.

I haven't had a cycle computer in years but imagine it will be easy to find one which will record this information on a ride by ride basis. As I recall Cateye were good but I'm sure others will be able to make more recent suggestions.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
There are many apps out there for Apple and Andriod Phones that are free to download , the popular ones are (i use) RidewithGPS.com , Stava , Kamoot, mapmyride but there are many more, they are all pretty much the same if its just distance and time , they are all free for the basics like that , its only when you want to plan routes and get more in depth that they become pay . I use Ride with GPS and this is what i see after a ride
539222 . 539221

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you have a mobile phone that could be termed a smartphone (ie it has GPS inbuilt) then there are several apps you could use that will record how far you go and your speed
Different people like different apps. I use Strava, as do a lot of other cyclists.

You just download the app from the app store (the free version). Take your phone with you on the ride. When you start, you press the "record the ride" button on the app. When you finish you press the "stop recording" button and that's about it. Very simple. It'll keep your rides in the history so you have a permanent record

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Half hour rides? Assuming you have a smart phone then download the Strava app it does everything you need and it is free.

When you find yourself spending a longer time on the bike, then you may want to look at a cycling gps unit.

Garmin are by far the most popular and you have a lot of units and prices to suit all pockets.

Wahoo are gaining popularity but only do a couple of models.

Please can anyone give me any advice on how to measure how far one has travelled and average MPH on various cycle trips (apart from the obvious of using an old fashioned map and stop watch). As previously stated I am extremely new to this; having only completed 9 rides (averaging ½ hour duration's) so far; returning to cycling to get myself fit after a 48 year break (I am 63 and left cycling when I was 15) and I am finding it painful; but must endure. Things can only get better - hopefully!
I suspect that there are some type of phone apps or something that you attach to the bike.

I do appreciate that at this stage, it is probably something that I should not be concerning myself with, but just as a matter of interest and so that I may be able to observe any small amounts of progress that hopefully I will begin to make in the fullness of time.

Thank you in advance for any economical suggestions.

PS: The only silly questions; are the ones you don't ask or something to that affect?

Tbh, I'd not stress too much about it and measure your progress in terms of the number of times you get out. Speed and distance will come from that, if you want them to.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
strava on phone is free , uses battery up a bit
garmin / wahoo if you get into it a bit more (both /all will still connect to strava )
always the option of a cheap little bike computer type thing from lidl or such ( when they sell the bike stuff )
it is nice to have a little screen to look at while riding ( personal opinion) just to see what you are up to

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I use a Wahoo computer now, but I got on fine with the Strava android app for years. Whilst cycling isn't all about numbers, it is nice to record your miles, I find it satisfying to see my mileage total increase over time. Plus you can show off your ride to family/friends - nothing wrong with being proud of your ride ^_^.

OP
OP
W

whitesix

Regular
When you are starting out like me and finding it extremely difficult I think it may be useful just to have something to look at to see if you are making any progress what so ever. Presently it's just, shall we say uncomfortable and not very enjoyable. I'm sure that it will get better in the fullness of time. As previously stated cycling is not like other comparable exercises for older people such as walking or swimming, where a little progress seems to be made on every occasion. There is quite a lot more to cycling than those two exercises. The other issue that I have found is that there are not many clubs or rides for older people, most of the clubs (probably quite rightly) are really for younger and /or more accomplished mountain bike and/or road riders.

Top Bottom