how to keep The Pucture Fairy away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaddyPaddey

Round our way we have a lot of the back roads that have two clear tyre tracks onto the tarmac, but down the middle there is gravel, stones etc., this means on a trike you are riding with one wheel on the rubbish.

To keep away the dreaded puncture fairy I have marathon plus’, and decided to put Slime in the inner tubes, something I have never used before. When looking at the tyres last weekend, to remove any bits of stone before they worked through, I noticed a tiny ‘flint’ pressed right into the tyre. Eventually when I got it out I discovered it was actually a huge thorn. The Slime had obviously done the trick as I had ridden about 40 miles after where I reckon I picked it up, with no loss of air.

What I didn’t expect was after pulling the thorn out the tyre deflated, I expected the Slime to reseal. Was I expecting too much? Now all I have to do is find some inner tubes with removable Presta valve core so I can reSlime, as Slime don’t appear to sell a 20” tube for Presta valves20”.

Sharky

Guru
Can you fit a "flint catcher" on the rear wheel?

D

Deleted member 26715

Did you try re-inflating and quickly spinning the wheel to get the Slime to the hole?
^^^^^^This 'should' have worked, I normally get around 2 years out of a 'slimed' tube

OP
OP
DaddyPaddey

DaddyPaddey

reinflated but didn't spin. doh! Think I will have to put slimey tube back and try

If you pull the thorn out, and don’t immediately spin the wheel fast, the slime won’t seal the hole, because it’s pooled away from the hole, unless the hole is at the bottom of the tyre, where the slime will pool. It’s the same story when you pick up a puncture on the road, with slimed tubes. When you hear the hiss, don’t stop pedalling. The centripetal acceleration will cause the slime to force itself through the hole. If you stop, the hole won’t seal and you’ll end up with a flat tyre.

johnnyb47

Guru
If there's still some slime in the tube it should be ok. I've used slime tubes for a couple of years now with good success.. I managed to pick up a small piece of wire in my tyre not to long back. It was making a right old noise as i rode along. I stopped the bike pulled the wire out and the dreaded hiss of escaping air was heard. A quick spin of the wheel and it soon stopped. The only time it won't really work are with pinch flats. I would just put tube back on and pump the tyre up and give it a good spin and see who it goes buddy..

Top Bottom