How to knock a few minutes off your commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...go down to 23mm tyres! LBS was going to charge me £5 to fit them so I did it myself.

Tried mine out this morning for the first time. Less rolling resistance made for a speedier commute. I was flying!

Does anyone use 21mm or skinnier? Can you get skinnier?

gary r

Guru
i dont think going skinnier than 23mm tyres will mean faster,probably just a harsher ride,I think its been proved that 23mm tyres are probably the ideal size.I think any new tyres will feel faster!

02GF74

Über Member
Maz said:
...go down to 23mm tyres! LBS was going to charge me £5 to fit them so I did it myself.

Does anyone use 21mm or skinnier? Can you get skinnier?

I think I use 21/23C fonrt/rear (unless it is 23/25) need to check but that is not on the commuter.

A quick earch showes 20 C to be narrowest although I do seem to recall Hutchinson making 18C tyres some years ago.

Tetedelacourse

I'm on 23's, always have been during my commuting, but there was a boy in front of me this morning on a Schwinn I think and his tyres looked thinner. He looked knackered though as I passed him so it's hard to say whether thinner = faster!

Tynan

Veteran
new tyres are faster, tyres at the correct pressure are faster

Monday mornings are faster

domtyler

Über Member
I don't think that changing from 25mm to 23mm would make a noticeable difference. You might see a small difference in a rolling resistance test where identical wheels are rolled down a hill to see how far they go, but that it is it.

I can say that changing from 23c to 25 Michelin P2R's, on Aksium wheels, has made no difference to my cruising speed or percieved effort. It has softened bumpy sections though, and I prefer the 25c tyres cornering characteristics - they are more stable than 23c tyres on my v twitchy bike.

So your suggesting that my Marathon Plus 26 x1.75 tyres slows me down then?

Yippeee! I am fitter than I thought! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
So your suggesting that my Marathon Plus 26 x1.75 tyres slows me down then?

Yippeee! I am fitter than I thought! :biggrin:

We have all been through your breathless puffing and panting Magna (as you struggle up minor inclines). Not sure I'd rank you as one of the fittest. ;)

Tynan

Veteran
domtyler said:
We have all been through your breathless puffing and panting Magna (as you struggle up minor inclines). Not sure I'd rank you as one of the fittest. ;)

:biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Following advice recently received after posting about a number of encounters with the p*******e fairy, I've taken to taking my 23mm tyres up to 100psi front & 120psi back. A firm ride - but my it makes a difference to the speed.

domtyler said:

So how many hills are there in London then? :biggrin:

If your ever up in Glasgow I will challenge you to the Clyde Tunnel hill climb!

You would of course have to wear a helmet camera and probably a heart monitor, so there was no cheating! :biggrin:

Top Bottom