How to make turbo trainers more fun.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Forgot to add to my previous post, make yourself a rocker plate, improves the comfort of the turbo. There is a FaceBook group called Rocker Plates full of good ideas.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Forgot to add to my previous post, make yourself a rocker plate, improves the comfort of the turbo. There is a FaceBook group called Rocker Plates full of good ideas.

I can see the advantage of a rocker plate, but I'd need a step to get on the bike with my back - it's hard work on the FS bike getting on and off with the high BB, other than I have a handy dropper post.....^_^

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I use a fairly cheap fluid turbo trainer, Wahoo Elemnt coupled with a speed sensor, cadence sensor, HR monitor and a small rechargeable fan clipped onto the handlebars, and then either diddle away the Km listening to music, or watch a training video on youtube and suffer, there are numerous turbo trainer videos on youtube.

There used to be a podcast called Velobeats which was a mix of music coupled with audio samples from television commentary on bicycle races and interviews designed to inspire you to keep turning the pedals, a quick google suggests it hasn't been updated in four years but some of the mixes are still online.

fossyant

I have a desk fan mounted on my racking in the garage, right in front of me - I couldn't manage less. I had 2 fans further away before but one broke, but in my bid to use less space, and no laptop, I can get away with a big desk fan mounted at fork crown level towards me, on full speed, even in winter in a cold garage... I could not do it in the house - I'd need more fans at room temp.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I leave mine on the power / HR numbers and listen to music or podcasts. My longest sessions are 45 mins or so. It's not meant to be about volume but intervals with intensity. I do any steady state volume outside on the weekend.

fossyant

I do like Zwift as you will get a workout compared to sitting on a turbo with nothing else. The 'Alpe' climb is not fun, I've done it a few times, but it's hard. I like the new circuit into the Desert, then via the forrest back as it has loads of gradient changes, in out of the saddle.

I'm on it at times that aren't where there is a group training session, so I'm not about to wait 15 minutes for a session, so I just ride.

wonderloaf

Veteran
It shouldn't be doing that - you may have a weak WIFI connection/poor ANT+ signal. That's been the frustrations with mine when I first started using it - really got worked up - get that sorted, it's ready to go every time.
I'm lucky if I can get an Ant+ connection so just default to Bluetooth now although the cadence lags a bit. I've tried different phones and tablets with the app and have just given up. I originally bought it to use with Tacx films but they don't work anymore as my devices are now too old and Tax support advised me to just use the PC version, which would mean buying the software, getting the PC in front of the bike, etc all for a couple of hours a week. Great huh?

wonderloaf

Veteran

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see the advantage of a rocker plate, but I'd need a step to get on the bike with my back - it's hard work on the FS bike getting on and off with the high BB, other than I have a handy dropper post.....^_^
My cousin gave me his 'dumb' TACX turbo trainer, which was better than my old turbo so I gave that away and started using the TACX. I hadn't noticed that I was seated higher than before and when I went to get off my left foot tried to plant in empty space and I toppled sideways! :eek:

Fortunately, the turbo trainer was set up in my bedroom so I fell onto the bed...

I now have breeze blocks either side of the trainer and dismount onto them before lifting my right leg over the saddle.

fossyant

My cousin gave me his 'dumb' TACX turbo trainer, which was better than my old turbo so I gave that away and started using the TACX. I hadn't noticed that I was seated higher than before and when I went to get off my left foot tried to plant in empty space and I toppled sideways! :eek:

Fortunately, the turbo trainer was set up in my bedroom so I fell onto the bed...

I now have breeze blocks either side of the trainer and dismount onto them before lifting my right leg over the saddle.

That extra height is tricky - especially if I've been on the turbo for an hour - my back get's very stiff. Hmm, a cheap dropper might help. That's a god send on longer MTB rides when you come to a stop - much easier getting on and off with a dodgy back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That extra height is tricky - especially if I've been on the turbo for an hour - my back get's very stiff. Hmm, a cheap dropper might help. That's a god send on longer MTB rides when you come to a stop - much easier getting on and off with a dodgy back.
I can see that a bad back wouldn't help! My problem is more to do with restricted lateral movement of my right leg - I am fine with the forwards/backwards movement when pedalling but my hip aches if I swing my leg too far outwards. When I am out on my bike I simply lower the bike to one side under me, which makes mounting/dismounting easy. Obviously, that can't be done on the trainer but the breeze blocks solved the problem for me. (I found a couple down in the cellar, which was handy!)

Venod

Eh up

My hitec step.

johnblack

Über Member
Haven't used the turbo for a few years as lucky enough to get enough time at lunch during the week to get to the gym and use a wattbike. I tend to use GCN training videos, I find them pretty effective and more importantly not too long.

Top Bottom