How to motivate underperforming Employees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
sheddy said:
Can anyone suggest management books or websites ?

No, but I can suggest that you get a life, you fucking brainwashed drone.

ColinJ said:
...he had his new Ferrari delivered to the front of the main office block about an hour later while desks were still being cleared. Nice touch... :tongue:

And the sackees didn't come back with baseball bats and trash it? self-gratification artists.

Abitrary

Boarding up all the windows so that *nobody* has a window seat will do more than you think for, if not increasing motivation then at least levelling it out a bit

bonj2

ColinJ said:
The MD of a company I used to work for obviously believed in the motivational power of redundancy. He got rid of 20+ people (more than 10% of the workforce) one morning. To show the rest of us how we might prosper if we worked really hard he had his new Ferrari delivered to the front of the main office block about an hour later while desks were still being cleared. Nice touch... :tongue:

I wouldn't have risked it...:tongue:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Gerry Attrick said:
1. Continually change working practices so no-one understands what is expected of them;
2. Threaten redundancies;
3. Hold very regular job evaluations which find the job requires less effort and so reduce take home pay;
4. Foster an atmosphere where all employees are terrified to speak "off message";
5. Introduce performance related pay as it is always possible to highlight negatives at the expense of positives. This also saves on the pay bill;
6. Ensure management errors are delegated;
7. Ensure solid practical suggestions from the staff originate from the management;
8. Ensure training is minimised so that when staff make errors, they can be blamed;
9. Allow staff absolutely minimum holidays, that way staff skills are maintained;
10. Make them work long, antisocial hours so that home life becomes marginalised.

That's the way my place motivates.

we must have the same employer !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
NickM said:
No, but I can suggest that you get a life, you fucking brainwashed drone.

And the sackees didn't come back with baseball bats and trash it? self-gratification artists.

Blimey, had a hard day Nick?:tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Gerry Attrick said:
1. Continually change working practices so no-one understands what is expected of them;
2. Threaten redundancies;
3. Hold very regular job evaluations which find the job requires less effort and so reduce take home pay;
4. Foster an atmosphere where all employees are terrified to speak "off message";
5. Introduce performance related pay as it is always possible to highlight negatives at the expense of positives. This also saves on the pay bill;
6. Ensure management errors are delegated;
7. Ensure solid practical suggestions from the staff originate from the management;
8. Ensure training is minimised so that when staff make errors, they can be blamed;
9. Allow staff absolutely minimum holidays, that way staff skills are maintained;
10. Make them work long, antisocial hours so that home life becomes marginalised.

That's the way my place motivates.

Why not leave then?

Bigtallfatbloke

'Under performing' can in some circumstances mean that the targets/expectations are unrealistic. Put a carrot in front of a donkey and he will move towards it. Move it too far away and he will give up.

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
Blimey, had a hard day Nick?:tongue:
No, just the usual pain of deprivation of liberty in exchange for money I cannot support myself without. You've seen my tag line... (or you would have done, if I could make the bloody thing appear when I want it to :angry:)

Wage slavery sucks. The would-be "masters" who seek to make it suck even more are the enemies of the slaves.

Crackle said:
Why is it always done before Xmas? Start the New Year fresh? It always struck as a really awful time to do it; prior to a new financial year is understandable but that's normally April.

It's seen as a test of management toughness. I was horrified to find in one large company, the directors expected middle managers to prove themselves by doing this for no good reason. They quite cheerfully settled the unfair dismissal claims on the basis that it was part of the management training cost. Unsurprisingly, they had an appalling labour relations record and a very high turnover of staff.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NickM said:
Wage slavery sucks. The would-be "masters" who seek to make it suck even more are the enemies of the slaves.
I tend to agree!

Having survived the first wave of redundancies at that company, I was kicked out later in a second wave. This didn't take place at Christmas, but first day back after Easter. I was told by my manager that the MD had wanted the redundancies to be announced just before the Easter break. The manager, however, took it upon himself to delay the announcement so we could at least enjoy ourselves for a few days before getting the bad news. Unfortunately during my Easter break, I'd bought a very expensive washer-dryer (over £500 and that was in 1990!). The store refused to take it back so I was stuck with the damn thing and struggled with the payments :angry:.

I decided that full-time wage-slavery wasn't for me after that... I went freelance and made sure that I got plenty of time off for cycling.

After about 10 years of that, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted to run my own business. That's what I'm working towards now. At least I would be if I didn't keep distracting myself on t'Internet :tongue:. Must dash - I've got hundreds of pages of programming manuals to pore over.

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
No, just the usual pain of deprivation of liberty in exchange for money I cannot support myself without. You've seen my tag line... (or you would have done, if I could make the bloody thing appear when I want it to :angry:)

No one is forcing you to be an employee of anyone else, you have the power to change things but if you are honest with yourself, maybe you don't have the courage to take the risks necessary to break free?

Don't worry, most people don't, me included! :tongue:

Top Bottom