How to not get bike stolen when sleeping in tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Screech owls don't exist in the UK. Tawny owls (the tu-whit-tu-whoo ones) can be pretty loud if they decide to sit over your tent.
Barn owls are colloquially known as screech owls around these parts.

The tawnies here do repetitive - even quite annoying* twit twooing, when it goes on too long.

But it's kind of cute also, cos you can get them to call back to you even if you just do a feeble imitation

When I lived in the woods in a tent for a few months I definitely had screechers living above me..
Quite eerie.

*First world country problems -
- "The owls are too loud" ^_^

Can imagine someone complaining about it on trip advisor...

rivers

How far can I go?
That looks funky. :smile:
If a little short on headroom.

Does it have a front supporting pole so you can nip down the pub without collapsing the whole thing??
It looks like it has more headroom than my hooped bivvy.
Back on topic, for security I have a couple of cafe locks that I loop around something. For this trip, I just looped it around part of the picnic table by my feet at this campsite. For another campsite, I looped it around a fence pole, again by my feet. I also use a bit of line tied from the loop at the bottom of my bivvy to my bike to keep the bottom of the bivvy off my feet. I'm a light sleeper so would have felt/heard someone trying anything.
20210726_161741.jpg

Back on topic, for security I have a couple of cafe locks that I loop around something. For this trip, I just looped it around part of the picnic table by my feet at this campsite. For another campsite, I looped it around a fence pole, again by my feet. I also use a bit of line tied from the loop at the bottom of my bivvy to my bike to keep the bottom of the bivvy off my feet. I'm a light sleeper so would have felt/heard someone trying anything.
View attachment 636297
intriguing pic in two ways.
1 - is that on a campsite? If so wondered why you went on a campsite with the bivitent.
2: Did you take the pic? If so who/what is in the bivitent - doesn't look empty.
excuse my nosiness.

rivers

How far can I go?
intriguing pic in two ways.
1 - is that on a campsite? If so wondered why you went on a campsite with the bivitent.
2: Did you take the pic? If so who/what is in the bivitent - doesn't look empty.
excuse my nosiness.
1.- Yes. It's lightweight and packs small. I'm only sleeping in it. Also, my one person tent isn't as waterproof (only a 2000 rating vs my bivvy's 10,000 rating), and I knew there it was going to rain.
2. Yes. Sleeping mat, sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, handlebar bag, and cook set/food. There was a storm rolling in, so stuck a few bits into the bivvy I really didn't want getting wet.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Haven’t scrolled thru all the pages but you can buy lights that Bluetooth to your phone and set an alarm off when they are moved when in theft mode - I know you would need a charged phone and light but guessing a battery pack would be ok

Note that's their Members Card Price, otherwise you pay £199.
Just come away from their Pudsey store.
yes.
I find their card scheme irritating - and counter-productive - it means I buy less from them as don't want to pay the "full price" obvs but nor do I want to get a card for one thing when the clock starts ticking on it and I don't immediately have other purchases planned - so I see stuff - make a plan to buy later when more stuff - then usually forget :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
View attachment 636297
I don't mind using a bivvy on warm summer nights on the beach, or somewhere secluded

I think I'd feel a bit exposed / lacking in privacy using one on a public campsite..

And then when it starts raining, and you want to cook....

rivers

How far can I go?
I don't mind using a bivvy on warm summer nights on the beach, or somewhere secluded

I think I'd feel a bit exposed / lacking in privacy using one on a public campsite..

And then when it starts raining, and you want to cook....
Luckily, this particular campsite was attached to a pub. So I had dinner in the pub while the rain passed. I did get some questions from people though. They were more interested that I arrived by bike.

Top Bottom