How to pace myself for longer rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
The chart I posted ( Gross, Kyle ) shows that research on this subject has been done. The NASA curves are from 1964, and surprisingly, men haven't improved much physiologically since then.

The OP has some data of his own. He rode for 77 minutes and his 20 mph equates to approx 200 Watts, so he's just better than the UK Amateur tourist trials of Whitt's research.

It is a simple matter for the OP to copy and paste the chart onto a MS Word document, print it out and plot with a red pen HIS curve from 77mins/200Watts IN RATIO to the 'UK Amateur tourist trials' dotted line.

So for a 100 km ride, at 4 hours riding duration, the Wattage will be 110, or 15.75 mph. 4 x 15.75 = 63 or just over 100km.

That's close enough by reading off a printed chart.

The result is :- Start and sustain your speed to average 15.75 mph, not 20 mph.

Surprisingly to you perhaps but not to me and methinks most others.

This chart thingy you keep going on about makes assumptions that all the variables are equal. When have you ever gone out when:-

1) Weather conditions, wind direction, temperature etc.
2) your fitness levels
3) Terrain of route
4) Training beforehand leading up to the day in question
5) Level of effort
6) clothing.
7) Accompanied or solo

was identical.

All of the above can affect average speed so you can't say that you can ride for an average speed of x mph just because of some chart. Shakes head in disbelief.;)

jimboalee

OK then Bill.

Facts.

The OP can ride 25 miles at 20 mph average.

We don't know the terrain or the weather conditions when he did this.

The OP is to ride 100km.

He wants to improve his ability.

Presumptions.

The finish of the route is at the same point as the start.

By your reckoning, what average speed should the OP aim to achieve to make him feel like he's done something, but without the risk of failure?

And don't say something rediculous like 2 mph.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
OK then Bill.

Facts.

The OP can ride 25 miles at 20 mph average.

We don't know the terrain or the weather conditions when he did this.

The OP is to ride 100km.

Presumptions.

The finish of the route is at the same point as the start.

By your reckoning, what average speed should the OP aim to achieve to make him feel like he's done something, but without the risk of failure?

And don't say something rediculous like 2 mph.

What's his RPE or %MHR when he did this average, which is after all the whole point isn't it?

If he rode it as a TT (flat out) then I would say that he could ride 100km @ 18mph average. Any effort other than this then the question is a nonsense because there is no definitive answer.

You are giving your rider (OP) objectives which are not measureable, and most probably correlate with your own values.

Terms like "improve his ability" "feel like he has done something" and "without the risk of failure" are not training objectives. One training ride or two or three or a month's worth fit into an overall training strategy (or should do anyway), with some rides designed for endurance, some for speed and some recovery.

It seems to me that your riding consists entirely of going out @ maybe 75/80% MHR or moderate effort, and then seeing how you go from day to day or week to week. Why do I think that? Because that's how you talk.

Let's face it we are talking chalk and cheese. Don't ask me about average speeds because I believe they are unimportant, and what is more I think I've made that point now about a million times (seems like).

jimboalee

"You are giving your rider (OP) objectives which are not measureable, and most probably correlate with your own values."

Not my values. Chester Kyle's values.

My suggested riding average was 15.75 mph. That's approx 70% of the power requirement of 18 mph as in your TT estimate.

Now it's up to the OP to come back with some results.

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
"You are giving your rider (OP) objectives which are not measureable, and most probably correlate with your own values."

Pardon me but that quote was in answer to :-

Nothing about your useless chart mentioned there.

jimboalee said:
My suggested riding average was 15.75 mph. That's approx 70% of the power requirement of 18 mph as in your TT estimate.

..........and a heavier rider, all other things being equal, will produce more absolute power than a lighter rider. If we are talking power then what is important is power/weight ratio. That is why to me, the talk of power is not meaningful if you are comparing one rider's power to another. On the other hand if power is your thing, then I can see it is relevant for a rider to compare their own power measurements within a certain time frame to chart progress.

Still going on about average speeds. Mate the floor is yours.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:

I'll correct myself.

They are Frank Rowland Whitt's values.

jimboalee

XmisterIS said:
When I was much younger (18) and used to ride my bike everywhere, I once did 100 miles off-road, in one day.

Then I had a long break from cycling and only got back into it 3 years ago (aged 30).

My "training" ride is 25 miles long and when I am on good form, I can do it in just over an hour. I say "training" in quotes, because I'm not training for anything in particular, I just like riding because it keeps me fit and keeps the weight off! (I do a sedentary job).

Anyway, 25 miles in just over an hour equates to approx 20 mph average.

I would like to start lengthening my rides, but I find it hard to set the right pace!

I am going to get a cycle computer that can keep track of my average speed.

What average speed do you try to maintain per length of ride?

For example, I might aim for something like this:

25 miles = 20 mph average.
40 miles = 15 mph average.
65 miles = 10 mph average.

Is that reasonable?

It think it's important to know because I would hate to set out on a 65 mile ride, get half way round (i.e. 30+ miles from home), and suddenly realise that I'm not going to make it because I've set my pace too high!

Let's read this again.

Is 15.75 mph average riding speed too fast or too slow?

You mention rider weight. That is already a factor in the OP's 25 miles at 20 mph.
You mention the rider's own power. That is also a factor in the OP's 25 miles at 20 mph. I am comparing the OP with himself.
You mention average speeds. That is what the OP is going to regularly check during the ride with his newly acquired cycle computer.

andyhunter

im averaging around depending on terrain i.e flat, hilly, mountain and wind etc around 20mph for 69miles and time varys on the training course i use but usually between 3/4 hours, i have steadly increased miles every week, to increase it more to around 70-75 would be ok for using two 750ml water bottles with mixed energy drink for the duration of the ride with food intake every hour to. which i knw u need 1liter per an hour when cycling but to get another bottle would mean stopping at a garage but it wouldnt be the energy drink i use and would b costly or gettin some1 to give me 1 at a certain point from a car. but i increase speed each time i am out and do interveral training each time and works :laugh:.

Top Bottom