How to pace myself properly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kasio

Hello all, recently I've been all over the shop in regards to speeds and effort while cycling, which usually results in my legs burning out rapidly when I need them most (i.e. hills!). I'm trying to find the right pace what works for me but I'm not sure if I'm pushing myself a little or not.. is it something that will take care of itself as my experience of cycling grows? Any replies are welcome - thank you

defy-one

It comes with experience and fitness. Also helps when you know your route. Try and keep a steady pace whereby you could still hold a conversation if another rider was with you.
Once a week, go for that fast session and see if your hill climbs improve.
I couldn't ride 3 miles without my legs screaming when I started, now 10 miles is nothing. Some folks on here can do a lot more, but it all comes from riding riding riding

stephen.rooke

yeah comes with practice, anything 10 miles or under i just hammer it all the way. anything over that its around 3 gears from max and a decent cadence. take it easy, put some intervals in and youll be able to push how far/fast you can ride before getting tired

tyred

Legendary Member
For longer rides, starting of slowly and gradually building up as I warm up seems to work best for me.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

How long are the rides, typically? Am assuming there are some large hills there but not sure what you mean when you say your legs are burned out. It's normal to get a burning sensation in the legs when you climb, especially when you are quite new to it. Keep on going out and riding. Try different things and experiment - half of the fun is learning what works for you. Above all, keep getting the miles in and try not to push too hard a gear... not all of the time anyway!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Head off out with an experienced cyclist.
I never really got the hang of hills and distances until I went for a ride with Lifeson of this parish (largely ex of this parish) on a 30 mile ride up hills. I then realised I had been belting it out too fast at the start, and tackling hills like I hoped they finished before I got out of breath. It is still a struggle for me to take anything at a gentle pace, but am getting better. Managed 50 miles without stopping recently. It was pretty flat, and I had to keep reminding myself not to push it (as I had another 80 miles to do later), but still went harder than if I'd been alone. But with friends I can push 100 and arrive as fresh as a daisy. As long as there is a pub stop on route.:cheers:

Standoff

I can manage thirty or forty mile rides no problem after building up the distance over the last few months. But....the other day I attempted a Strava segment two minutes into the ride and struggled for the remaining hour and a half ride. I find I need half a dozen miles to warm up! Start steady!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I always like to think that feeling of the legs burning means that theyll be busy getting stronger for next time :smile:

I think mostly youll find a comfy pace once youre fit enough for the hills in question, but then youll probably push yourself harder anyway and be just as knackered but a little bit faster!

MattHB

Proud Daddy
as you get fitter your recovery time gets MUCH faster.. where as to start with, one hill will blow you out for the entire ride, but later on youll recover quickly after it and be ready to steam on to the next. Trouble is, when that happens, you try to push harder up the hills, so get the same again!!! so you have to go and do more hills to compensate, and you end up in the hill climbing cycle (no pun intended) of push -> get fitter -> push -> get fitter etc.

A wise man told me (on here) that
it doesnt get any easier, you just get faster and longer
never were truer words said

yello

is it something that will take care of itself as my experience of cycling grows?

Yes it is. As is learning to rest whilst riding.

I've never been one to go knocking myself out, so it's difficult for me to be objective about this, but you do learn your own comfort level. That being the level you feel like you can ride forever at. You learn to take the amount of recovery you need after exertion to get you back to your base level, so you can do it all over again! Over time, as you build in strength and fitness, your base level improves - and you can ride further... or faster... and/or both.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I used to push as hard as I could whenever I rode by myself but couldn't figure out why when I went for a ride with a fixie mate I could do many more miles and feel totally fine.

Now I try to get a nice cadence using the third from top gear and unless I'm ragging it downhill I try to never use the top gear. It has been a hard culture change but my hips and knees hurt a lot less!

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Kasio

Kasio

I'd like to thank everyone who posted here, a lot to read about and think over! I certainly feel myself improving since I started this thread, onwards!

Top Bottom