how to pick the right road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys a little help please i am looking to get a road bike and was looking at the specialized allez and the trek 1.1 i am 19 stone and 6ft 4 in and was wondering what you think i have a specialized hybrid but was looking for a bike for distance to do a few charity rides .
thanks in advance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to Evans or your local shop and get some testrides. At your weight, an alu or steel frame will be fine. Might need to invest in some stronger wheels at some point if you aren't planning on losing some weight. Although you might be over the max weight stated by the manufacturer which could affect a warranty claim if anything happens to it. A gravel/adventure or CX bike might be a bit sturdier and more comfortable due to fatter tyres :smile:

OP
OP
bigjohnwaldron
thanks for all the info guys .and yes the weight loss is ongoing 3stone so far hope for another couple with the help of new road bike
any other suggestions apart from the two i have been looking at would be great,but i do like the look of the allez.
thanks

OP
OP
bigjohnwaldron
budget £500 to £700 .thanks

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Like @vickster says, it would help to know your budget. (edit - you've just posted it and this bike falls in there nicely)

I'm a big fan of Boardman bikes (as you might guess from my signature, below) and this looks a good deal at the moment:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp-bike
I've got last years model (with rim brakes, not discs) and it's coped with everything I could throw at it so far. Don't be put off by tales of woe about Halfords, I've had great service throughout.

Plus British Cycling members get another 10% off that price as well as lots of other worthwhile benefits.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whayever you ro, dont be tempted by 20 spoke wheels, go for something with 28/30 minimum.
I woukd also look at Genesis and Whyte if they are within budget. Sensible design and spec road bikes for all kinds of riding, especially longer distance as less 'race' orientated but more than quick enough!

Kajjal

Guru
Go to Evans or your local shop and get some testrides. At your weight, an alu or steel frame will be fine. Might need to invest in some stronger wheels at some point if you aren't planning on losing some weight. Although you might be over the max weight stated by the manufacturer which could affect a warranty claim if anything happens to it. A gravel/adventure or CX bike might be a bit sturdier and more comfortable due to fatter tyres :smile:

This is good advice, i am 16 stone and have a gravel bike due to it being stronger including the wheels, having bigger tyres and disc not rim brakes which is important for heavier riders stopping especially in the wet. Also i can take it off road on smoother trails. You can always fit thinner tyres in the future.

Anything like a diverge, gt grade etc. Would be worth looking at and test riding.

vickster

Legendary Member

DRM

Guru
I would be looking for something like a Giant Defy,which has a more relaxed geometry so you are seated a bit more upright, rather than an out and out race bike, again as mentioned above with at least 28/30 spoke wheels, a cyclocross or gravel bike could be worth a look too, either way go to your local bike shops and do some test rides to see which suits you and feels comfortable to ride.

Top Bottom