How to prevent water ingress into tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
After a rainy ride, a lot of water (about 10 mL or so) ends up trapped between the rim (Mavic Open Pro) and the tyre (Conti 4 seasons - folding) and makes a lovely sloshing sound as I rotate the wheel. The water tends to hang around (i.e., not dispersing when the bike is subsequently ridden on dry days) and I have to remove the tyre to let the water out - a right pain in the ---.

Any tips to prevent stop it happening? Perhaps non-folded tyres may help...?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The water must be in the chamber of the rim it can't defeat the 100 psi or more of the tyre unless you go through some very deep puddles indeed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My rims always have water inside them; I'm resigned to having to replace the spokes at new rim time because all the nipples will be rusted to the spokes.

OP
OP
Herzog

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
More likely to get in through the spoke holes and go into the rim tape that way, rubber on metal is usually a pretty good seal.

Yeah, that's what I meant (not phrased very well). Short of sealing each spoke hole with silicone sealant, I suppose there's b*gger all I can do besides grinning and bearing it :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A lot gets in when I wash the bike. I bet some gets forced out though when the rims get hot on steep downhills.

OP
OP
Herzog

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
It's my first time building a wheel using Open Pros, never had this problem before with countless other rims. I was amazed at how much water was in there and the spoke holes don't seen excessively large.,..

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I get this problem with my cross bike which has Fulcrum CX rims. Please don't try this if your not confident as far as bike maintenance goes but I drill a 1mm hole in each side of the rim in the centre of the braking surface. Yes it let's more water in, but it never builds up to indoor pool levels.

Top Bottom