How to raise my handlebars - can't figure it out, please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The height of the bars depends on the length of the steerer (the tube attached to the forks) so you can't raise the height once it has been cut.

There are however a couple of work arounds.

1.Turn the stem upside down.

2.If the spacers on the steerer are above the stem, put them underneath the stem.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
The height of the bars depends on the length of the steerer (the tube attached to the forks) so you can't raise the height once it has been cut.

There are however a couple of work arounds.

1.Turn the stem upside down.

2.If the spacers on the steerer are above the stem, put them underneath the stem.

Thanks - mine looks just like the picture, it seems the spacers are under the stem. I will try to turn it upside down. Many thanks!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Do you know how to fit the forks back properly? If not follow this

Undo and take off the top cap (the long screw) and loosen the two bolts attaching the stem to the steerer - you can then remove the stem and turn it the way you want.

Then with everything in place and the bars/forks roughly straight, insert and tighten up the top cap only until any play in the forks disappears but the forks turn freely without judder..

Once happy, position the stem/bars correctly and tighten up the two bolts attaching the stem to the steerer..

You should then be able to loosen the top cap off as the stem/steerer bolts do all the work and the top-cap is there mainly for the initial adjustment and to keep the water out.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thanks - the stem is horizontal, so will turning it upside down raise it at all? I'm a bit dim when it comes to mechanical stuff... :sad:

Norm

I'm a bit dim when it comes to mechanical stuff... :sad:

Then be careful when you take the stem off, as the front wheel will drop out if you have the bike suspended. Do it with the bike on the floor and try not to unweight the front end at all, as there's a bunch of bearings and stuff in there which can be a pain to re-seat properly if you dislodge them.

That said, it's relatively easy to do, as I did it to my Secteur - and you can guess what went wrong from my advice above. :blush: :laugh:

e-rider

crappy member
you are demonstrating such a lack of mechanical ability that I'd now get someone or a bike shop to look at it. The top bolt that you loosened adjusts the tension of the headset bearings so this will now be wrong. You also run the risk of serious injury or death if you don't attach the stem correctly and it comes loose when cycling - usually I'd be all for people doing bike DIY but not in this case! At the very least, get someone to show you how it's done rather than reading this thread and doing it yourself.

As a side note; the secteur has very high handlebars anyway - probably almost the highest of any road bike available. Perhaps you have a bad back or bad neck, or you are elderly - I don't know. However, if you are a regular guy with none of these issues, you really shouldn't need to higher the bars unless the bike is too small for you.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
you are demonstrating such a lack of mechanical ability that I'd now get someone or a bike shop to look at it. The top bolt that you loosened adjusts the tension of the headset bearings so this will now be wrong. You also run the risk of serious injury or death if you don't attach the stem correctly and it comes loose when cycling - usually I'd be all for people doing bike DIY but not in this case! At the very least, get someone to show you how it's done rather than reading this thread and doing it yourself.

Thanks - you are probably right.  :sad:

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
As a side note; the secteur has very high handlebars anyway - probably almost the highest of any road bike available. Perhaps you have a bad back or bad neck, or you are elderly - I don't know. However, if you are a regular guy with none of these issues, you really don't need to higher the bars unless the bike is too small for you.
46 yr old woman - no real issues. I'm going to leave them where they are. 

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It's not rocket science, you'll be absolutely fine.

Just take on the tips as above, flip it and see how you go.
When you retighten the stem, do it gently but firmly, tightening opposing bolts.
If your stem is currently horizontal, when you turn it, it will (should) then angle upwards because of the angle of the steerer tube (took me a little while to figure it out, and the advice of others ;) )

Any problems, just post back :thumbsup:

e-rider

crappy member
Sorry to sound so negative but I was just trying to save you from a nasty accident and not put you off fixing your own bicycle. If you are new to cycling which I'm guessing you are, you might just need time to get used to the handlebar position - as I said before the secteur has very high bars anyway.

I agree that it's not difficult but some people are just not good at this sort of thing.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I'm not new to cycling but coming back to it after 20 years.... I used to work on my old road bike but things have really changed and seem much more complicated then they used to be. I need a shorter stem anyways so will take the bike to the LBS and have them do it and check that it is all safe. 

Norm

46 yr old woman - no real issues. I'm going to leave them where they are.
I'm a 47 year old man and I flipped mine. :thumbsup: But that was only after I'd done about 350 miles, just to make sure that I wanted to do it.

I think the Ahead stem is less complicated than the stuff which was around when we rode 20 years ago, Thistler, but it is different.

P.H

Über Member
you are demonstrating such a lack of mechanical ability that I'd now get someone or a bike shop to look at it. The top bolt that you loosened adjusts the tension of the headset bearings so this will now be wrong. 
If you're going to be critical you may as well get it right  :rolleyes:

Loosening the top bolt will not have affected the bearings as these are being held in place by the stem clamped to the steerer.  If this has not been touched, just screw the top bolt back in (doesn't need to be very tight)  and everything will be as it was before.  The only time the top bolt is doing anything is during fitting, after that it could be removed altogether, though it does stop the rain getting in.

Indeed as accountantpete has already said

You should then be able to loosen the top cap off as the stem/steerer bolts do all the work and the top-cap is there mainly for the initial adjustment and to keep the water out.

brockers

Always worth taking a look at Sheldon Brown's site, thistler, for all things mechanical. As you've now realised, things have moved on, headset-wise in the last 10-15 years, and most headsets are the 'A-Head' type now - a development from mountain bikes. It's a far more elegant and lighter solution to the problem of how to attach your handlebars/stem to your frame, than the old 'quill' system - although it takes a bit more setting up and sympathetic tweaking to eliminate that last bit of play you might get when you stick your front brake on.

Top Bottom