How to raise my handlebars - can't figure it out, please help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
If you're going to be critical you may as well get it right :rolleyes:

Loosening the top bolt will not have affected the bearings as these are being held in place by the stem clamped to the steerer. If this has not been touched, just screw the top bolt back in (doesn't need to be very tight) and everything will be as it was before. The only time the top bolt is doing anything is during fitting, after that it could be removed altogether, though it does stop the rain getting in.

Indeed as accountantpete has already said

Yes I'm fully aware of how it works. I assumed that the stem bolts had probably been loosened too at some point in the attempt to raise the bars.

Rip Van

Guru
Thanks - you are probably right. :sad:

DIY. Get a bike maintenance book - http://www.play.com/...l+%26+Transport
Google "raise cycle handlbars" - http://www.ehow.com/...rs-bicycle.html
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/1892495430
Other resources are available!
If you want to do it yourself, you're probably best to learn by doing but check everything out first, as some errors can be expensive in terms of both cash and time.
On the other hand I know people who don't do anything more than fix punctures and are quite happy to let their LBS look after the maintenance & repair.

FatFellow

Regular
I realise this is an old post but i thought i'd join the forum just to say that I too am suffering from numb hands whilst cycling a new secteur sport 2011. I have a 56'' frame after some deliberation as to whether or not it might be a tad too big - although i went with this because I have short legs and a rather long torso.

So after reading this thread I thought i'd go and flip the stem so that i could raise the height of the handle bars, the spacers were left at the time as they were, below the stem. It took just 10 minutes to do the job, removing the 4 screws which hold the handlebars on, undo the long screw from the steerer cap and then loosening the 2 screws on the stem. The whole thing slides off easily and assembly is the reversal of this.

I just went for a 10 minute spin and I can feel the difference already, so will report back in a week or so and let you know if the numbness has completely gone.

Thanks for sharing this info with me, its saved me going to the LBS.

brockers

I realise this is an old post but i thought i'd join the forum just to say that I too am suffering from numb hands whilst cycling a new secteur sport 2011. I have a 56'' frame after some deliberation as to whether or not it might be a tad too big - although i went with this because I have short legs and a rather long torso.

So after reading this thread I thought i'd go and flip the stem so that i could raise the height of the handle bars, the spacers were left at the time as they were, below the stem. It took just 10 minutes to do the job, removing the 4 screws which hold the handlebars on, undo the long screw from the steerer cap and then loosening the 2 screws on the stem. The whole thing slides off easily and assembly is the reversal of this.

I just went for a 10 minute spin and I can feel the difference already, so will report back in a week or so and let you know if the numbness has completely gone.

I always loved that phrase. Best though when you've got half an engine scattered around on the garage floor, a couple of crucial bolts have disappeard down a hole, you've gone white with fear wishing you've taken the motor to a garage, and you're looking for some guidance on the rebuild. The Haynes Manual in its infinite wisdom tells you that "assembly is simply the reversal of the dis-assembly". Hilarious.

Good for you for being resourceful and getting stuck in though. Most things are sortable on a pushbike if you're prepared to wield an Allen key, and know how to use a search engine.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... However, if you are a regular guy ...

That's the 2nd time you've been mistaken for a bloke on here Thistler... I'd have thought gender would be obvious from your avatar!

You may need to buy a new stem with a different angle to get your bars where you want them. This image shows 3 different stem angles both ways up. If yours is currently horizontal, the you should get a bit more height by inverting it.

stem-angles.jpg

Panter

Just call me Chris...

Good stuff, hope it works for you
thumbsup.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you search for "changing stem" on youtube, loads of good stuff gets thrown up. Here are a couple that I found handy a few months ago...

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jfc-PEhep8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=RRFqU07u8DE[/media]

sbseven

Unfortunately, re-assembly isn't the reverse of what you've written above. You need to tighten the steerer cap (to tension the headset bearings) before you tighten the 2 screws on the stem. If you didn't do it this way, your headset is probably slightly loose.

http://www.norco.com...ten-my-headset/

Top Bottom