How to rectify the chain skip!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hiteshbangera

Does anyone know how to rectify the chain skip that happens a lot during the rainy season. I tried servicing my Cannondale and fiddling around with a few things myself but it doesn’t help…

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
How old is the chain and casette ?

samsam

Does anyone know how to rectify the chain skip that happens a lot during the rainy season. I tried servicing my Cannondale and fiddling around with a few things myself but it doesn’t help…

I think you should try tightening the chains first!!!

TwoDlocks

Usually chain skip is caused by a worn out chain and a worn out sprocket. Try changing the chain and sprockets. Also if you have got a cheap derailliar, change that to a better one. Very cheap derailliars shift badly and tend to make the chain skip.

Janrhino

I have had a lot of this lately with my Marin Mount Vision. If the chain is damaged, splayed link, it will skip. Also, after I put on a new chain it was still skipping so a mate of mine put it on his rack and simulated the skipping, he altered the tension on the cable and it all worked well after that.

alok

It mostly happens during rains. But I'll suggest that it's better to take it for servicing from where you'll even come to know wads the actual problem!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If in the last 6 months you haven't changed the cable outer where it curves round to the rear derailleur, do so, you'll be amazed at the difference.

stavros

How about shortening the chain by 1 or 2 links. You can then use micro adjuster to fine tune.

Assuming derailleur gears, if it's skipping at the rear, the usual reason IME is new chain on old cassette cogs. Only solution then is to replace cassette. If it's at the front, worn chain ring(s). Replace chain ring(s).

Top Bottom