How to remove a patch from a inner tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have patches that last thousands of miles, in fact most of them do. Very very rarely does an existing patch fail.

Agree.
Applied correctly, and that goes for ready glued instant patches and normal patches and glue, what ever the size, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Reactions: C R

hatler

Guru
I have been really impressed at how well the pre-glued patches work. I very rarely use them, but on the odd couple of occasions I have they have lasted until the end of the tube's life (which has come about for reasons other than the pre-glued patch's inadequacy).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have been really impressed at how well the pre-glued patches work
Yep. You do see complaints about them. But I think it's all down to user error,
You have to apply them as you would normal patch and glue. ie roughen and clean surface, apply patch making sure no folds or bubbles, press firmly onto inner tube for at least 30 seconds. And lastly.. don't inflate outside of the tyre.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The reason I once had problems with them was definitely user error. I only use them on the road, I use rubber solution type patches at home. And so the last time I used one was in a cold rainstorm, somewhere near Gatwick. I ballsed it up - due to shaking hands, and being unable to keep everything dry - and it didn't hold but I managed to get to the station.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
I'd also add that if you applied the patch that is now leaking, it might be a good time to review your patching technique. This shouldn't happen.
I removed the tube from the tire and found out it was not the patch that was leaking but a new puncture no bigger than a hair and only a few mm from the patch . What caused two tiny punctures only mm from each other only a couple of days apart ? I know it was some problem with the tube

I done what I was advised to do and binned the tube

grldtnr

Might still have a bit of source of punctures embedded in tyre
On my opinion, you can't successfully repair an old patch, you need to rub down the repair site, and no matter how you try ,it's virtually impossible to do, you invariably will cost the puncture with rubber solution bigger than required, to ensure a strang repair, what happens is the excess bobbles up then containimates, you then can't run it down and ensure a good repair.
Best bin it, at the last resort you could try patching a patch,but it isn't going to be successful.
Kudos to those who day they have, for I don't believe you.!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On my opinion, you can't successfully repair an old patch, you need to rub down the repair site, and no matter how you try ,it's virtually impossible to do, you invariably will cost the puncture with rubber solution bigger than required, to ensure a strang repair, what happens is the excess bobbles up then containimates, you then can't run it down and ensure a good repair.
Best bin it, at the last resort you could try patching a patch,but it isn't going to be successful.
Kudos to those who day they have, for I don't believe you.!

Whats that got to do with puncture objects still embedded in the tyre.

Reactions: C R

grldtnr

Whats that got to do with puncture objects still embedded in the tyre.
Nuffink! Just replied to the thread.
Had to fix a puncture today, a thorough examination of the tyre to find anything in it, no evidence, but I think the tube is shown signs of age, 3 rd patch on it. In 3 different spots, next deflationary episode , it gets junked, it's been in there and 5 yrs at least, may be longer, I can't tell.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nuffink! Just replied to the thread.
Had to fix a puncture today, a thorough examination of the tyre to find anything in it, no evidence, but I think the tube is shown signs of age, 3 rd patch on it. In 3 different spots, next deflationary episode , it gets junked, it's been in there and 5 yrs at least, may be longer, I can't tell.

Actually you replied to my post, just like I’ve done to yours here!

Top Bottom