How to remove this freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aaron88

Hi,

Im trying to replace my 18 freewheel, but how do i remove my current one? Do i need a special tool? The bike is kinda old. Thnx in advance.
IMG_20180531_184859.jpg
IMG_20180531_184853.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can do it without special tools if you wish.
Video is for a multi speed freewheel but single speed is the same.

View: https://youtu.be/WsVL1XqZve8

It's very difficult to remove that kind of cheap freewheel - even with the correct tool - because the slots are so shallow and the material so soft that it's hard to get a good engagement on it.

It's also very difficult to remove a freewheel when the axle is absent. The wheel nut is screwed down onto the tool to keep it from slipping out for the first few degrees of undoing.

So. Given that these two scenarios are present in this case, getting this bastard off intact will be close to impossible. It is possible, however, and enormously enjoyable to just monster it off. Take the whole thing apart by undoing the lock ring. When you're down to the 'block' bang it in the vice and turn the wheel. Being careful not to over tighten the vice so much that it crushes the hub itself.. (Don't ask me how I know this) .

OP
OP
A

Aaron88

I'd try a bar placed across the two slots, or maybe a Suntour two prong freewheel removal tool.
Do you think this will do the job?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180601-084158.png
    Screenshot_20180601-084158.png
    28 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
A

Aaron88

It's very difficult to remove that kind of cheap freewheel - even with the correct tool - because the slots are so shallow and the material so soft that it's hard to get a good engagement on it.

It's also very difficult to remove a freewheel when the axle is absent. The wheel nut is screwed down onto the tool to keep it from slipping out for the first few degrees of undoing.

So. Given that these two scenarios are present in this case, getting this bastard off intact will be close to impossible. It is possible, however, and enormously enjoyable to just monster it off. Take the whole thing apart by undoing the lock ring. When you're down to the 'block' bang it in the vice and turn the wheel. Being careful not to over tighten the vice so much that it crushes the hub itself.. (Don't ask me how I know this) .
I do have the whole hub, for some reason i thought it needed to be removed :smile:. Do you think i need these 2 tools? I also want to buy the tiols needed to remove new freewheels i will buy in the future

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180601-084431.png
    Screenshot_20180601-084431.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20180601-084158.png
    Screenshot_20180601-084158.png
    28 KB · Views: 63

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always a good idea to buy tools for future use.
The removal tool in your second pic doesn't look like the correct one for your freewheel and the best option is the screwdriver and hammer method anyway.

Top Bottom