HOW TO, repair a Wheelie-bin (badly)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once had an old Seagull outboard which was giving trouble. Took off the cylinder head and discovered it and the cylinder were badly pitted. Filled the holes with araldite and it ran perfectly for years after.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The throttle jammed on my VW Passat somewhere north of Inverness - a frayed cable caused it to jam wide open which was ... interesting. Fixed by cutting the cable away and attaching two shoelaces and the drawstring from my girlfriend's jacket to the throttle assembly on the carb, running it under the bonnet and in the window on the driver's side where I operated it by hand for the 200 miles or so home.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So I took it off again and filled it up with gorilla glue.
Guess what it's just done it's second full load, of wheelie-bin contraband.
So far a good result, what’s your best repair with glue?
The capstone from my Dad's brick gatepost dislodged and he told me to use gorilla glue.

A few months later, he reversed his car into the gate post and the top half of it rolled onto the pavement... but the capstone stayed firmly in place. I gorilla glued the whole thing back together ^_^

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used the same remedy as Diogenes but on a Rover 90 where the handbrake did not work. This was for hill starts while towing a caravan as the time lag between lifting off the foot brake and transferring to to throttle was just too much. This was somewhere in the early 1960’s.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi all just a footnote for history

I just have had a wheel, come off my wheelie-bin.
Found it in the street, ripped off by them Refuse collectors.
The wheel had only half inch of bearing left on it.
So what to do, when I put it back on it wobble badly.
So I took it off again and filled it up with gorilla glue.
Guess what it's just done it's second full load, of wheelie-bin contraband.
So far a good result, what’s your best repair with glue?
Discounting of course anything that blows up!!!
:becool::whistle:
@Prometheus a question for you. Bear in mind my nickname is Mr Bean as I tend to break everything.
If you put glue in the tube and shove it back on, does the wheel still turn ok?
Wheel on mine has just come off and I see no way to fix it back on.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Fixed by cutting the cable away and attaching two shoelaces and the drawstring from my girlfriend's jacket to the throttle assembly on the carb,
Might have worked better using the jacket string from her drawers :rolleyes:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The throttle jammed on my VW Passat somewhere north of Inverness - a frayed cable caused it to jam wide open which was ... interesting.
I had the same thing happen on a 500 Manx Norton at the Senior Classic Manx Grand Prix in 1998, as I was approaching Laurel Bank on the TT course.
'Interesting' was not the word that flashed through my mind. :eek:
It was a brand new cable, just to add insult to injury.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Aye, I discovered the incredible grip your arse cheeks can exert on the cushion of a car seat.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mate of mine used to be a volvo tech in Milton Keynes. He told home a brilliant tale of a Japanese businessman living in MK who suffered the indignity of the throttle sticking wide open on his Volvo 960, the big 3 litre 6 pot version. Poor bloke was flying around the estates of MK at lightspeed, taking corners on 2 wheels before eventually crashing. Fortunately he wasn't badly hurt, and next time he now knows to switch off the ignition while leaving the key in.

Top Bottom