How to slow down a fixie going fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greenbank

Über Member
Even with enough practice and leg strength you'll never match the braking power of a proper rim/disc brake.

Sure it's easy to lock the rear wheel (at any speed) but skidding is far less effective at slowing you down than progressive non-skidding braking.

Simply put, I'd never go brakeless fixed. Even on the flat I go fast enough that I wouldn't be able to stop in a useful time/distance by leg-braking alone.

I was descending Broomfield Hill in Richmond Park the other day and a deer wandered out into the road (they usually sit close by ignoring all of the passing traffic). I usually hit 55kph going down that hill. Leg braking on a 10% descent on wet smooth tarmac is going to do close to nothing. Locking your back wheel will send you into (a) an oncoming car, (:thumbsup: the deer or (c) off the road. None of which you want to do at 20kph let alone 50kph.

Fit a front brake and use that to modulate your speed on fast descents, and for emergencies.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Might be worth seeking the counsel of Benborp.

I had the great pleasure of tailing him back from the FNRttC recently, and found his bike control absolutely inspirational. One of his vids shows some pretty urgent braking. Nice soundtrack too. :shy:

D4VOW

It's just something that comes with time. When I first started riding fixed I found leg braking while at a high cadence impossible and was always using the front brake. I now can't remember the last time I used the front brake but keep it on in case of an emergency :shy: By keeping a good eye on what is happening ahead you won't need to slow down quickly and can gradually bring your speed down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a colleague (who does bike touring and rides to work) pull me up the other day.....

"I was listening to the radio, about these folk in New York that ride fixed without brakes..... your's has them doesn't it ?"........ "Oh yes", was my reply, "the drivers round here are idiots".

I'm getting there now, can do the spinning, and am now able to prevent the 'argh...going too quick downhill' effect - only takes a couple of weeks commuting....

I find, in an emergency situation, both brakes on and legs going 'loose'..the rear wheel, rather than locking up on like on a road bike, spins, and skips a bit, so more traction.

I am not pulling no 'skids' on £30 (each) tyres ta...... (plus I'll crash.....I can't do fancy tricks)....

Just moved to the 74" gear, from the 70" and that will now do nicely for the commute. Cruise speed is right (was spinning a bit more than I'd like) and the long drag home is 'do-able' - although if I come home the lumpy route, I'll have to flip to 70".

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
And that, Fossy, is why i have a £10 tyre on the back of my fixed;)
Skids are just something i end up doing, so i dont see the point in having a £30 tyre on the back.
On the front, i have a £30 tyre though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Matching tyres Joe....come on...big tart here.......

PS my Fixed ain't trendy, you are young, I am old...... and you have more than enough Fixed bikes.......

Joe24

fossyant said:
Matching tyres Joe....come on...big tart here.......

PS my Fixed ain't trendy, you are young, I am old...... and you have more than enough Fixed bikes.......

Only 4;)

RedBike

4 bikes, now there's an idea. I could have one with a nice low ratio at the bottom of the hill and one with a high ratio to get me back down. Each night my butler could go and re-position them ready for the next day.

I am seriously looking for Sturmey Archer 3 speed FIXED hub. I know they were due to be re-released earlier this year; but I can't find anyone selling them though. Leg braking must be easier if your legs aren't turning at a million rpm and if you can use a low ratio when you're travelling slowly.

AyrshireBacon

Sturmey Archer hub still in the pipeline. This thread http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19937 has a link to someone taking pre-orders, but not even a price given so far.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
arallsopp said:
One of his vids shows some pretty urgent braking. Nice soundtrack too. :biggrin:
Some excellent answers - some of them even containing useful information, whatever next. "I ushe my front teef" I think being my favourite.

The 'pretty urgent braking' is impressive - how's it achieved? From the vid, it feels sort of like he's neither front-braking nor back-pedalling, more going into what in a car would be called a four wheel drift - is that right? Lock the pedals and throw the whole bike thru' 90 degrees? Not that I'm planning on doing it anytime soon, but it does look both cool and extremely effective - and it's nice to have something to aim for.

Joe24

Well, when i was riding along, and needed to do a left at a junction, i sprinted for the lights, knew i was going to fast so i locked up my legs, pushed the back wheel out to the right then started peddling again.
Didnt loose a huge amount of speed either.

Top Bottom