How to solve a sweaty helmet ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
A headband will do the job perfectly, preferably a cycling type as the normal type are normally made of towelling type fabric. The cycling ones are a lot thinner. I bought two from Prendass, Team Highway ones, and you do not even notice you are wearing one. looking on the site though now, they do not seem to have them in any make.

As for the wearing of buffs and caps coming into the equation I do not know, its totally ilogical on a hot day, probably just a fashionable trend but all they do is retain heat underneath which makes you even hotter, one minute its acceptable to wear a hat to keep your head warm and then another day, to wear one to keep your head cool. Let your hair serve one of its natural purposes and let it wick the sweat away as the air flows through your helmet. I cycle with a few colleagues who wear caps and buffs, but it soon becomes evident that they are overheating by the red faces and eventually have to remove them or suffer along with sweat running down their faces. Keep them for the cooler days when they serve a purpose of keeping your "napper" warm.

Last edited:

jnex26

I have only ridden with two helmets a echelon and a S3 I can say the S3 is much much cooler than the echelon during summer.

I might look into something like a buff, would be ideal for training with, but then the sweat doesn't bother me too much, and when it has, I use the terry cloth on my gloves to wick it away :smile:

+1 on the halo head band. I was put onto them by a thread on this forum about them. I seem to suffer a lot with sweat coming down into my eyes and this stopped it completely. A guy I know that does triathlon also suggested vaseline above the eyes, but as I have had no problems with the Halo I have not tried it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Late to this thread but the answer is to use a buff; it wicks away the sweat and in the four years I've been using one I've never had to wash the pads in my helmet whereas before buff they got stinky and needed washing often, especially in summer. The buff also keeps my bald head warm in winter and cool in summer, especially when riding in temperatures of 30 c or more in Africa..

Last edited:

Licramite

Über Member
I use a conventional sports headband, have for years, works just fine, and make your helmet a push on fit

Top Bottom