How to spot a Stravasshole!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I love Strava as a training aid, to work getting KOM's is part of that as well (not that I have any).

The one thing that annoys me with it is the mobile apps which are way of accurate compared to Garmins or the likes. One guy at work did a short segment at avg 16mph, it then spiked to 46mph for 30 yards and back down and took the KOM lol.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Which is nothing at all like the Pro's who ride tucked behind their team at a nominal pace until the last 200 metres and then blast it!?!

Bet you enjoy watching that though with no complaints.

Does it really matter what people do on their bikes, as long as it's not dangerous or affecting any other road users?

I think some people need to take stock and accept that everyone is different and we naturally enjoy different methods of motivation? ;)

Yes, fair play, like I said, each to their own! Its not my cup of tea going out for a quick ride and then blat it all out for 400m then go home, but I think you're right, if it gets people riding, why not. I suppose its like a very accessible time trial.

TBH I might have been a little narrow minded there, based on not really understanding what Strava is for, in my innocence I thought it was just about getting KOMs, but as I have used it a bit more, it tracks quite a lot of other factors and compares each ride to your own previous (recovering luddite, please bear with :blush:).

I definitely haven't made a segment, sprinted for any other segments, joined any clubs on it or been otherwise motivated by it since that last post. :shy:.

bpsmith

Veteran
No worries @Pikey. No need to apologise fella. :smile:

Loads of people mistake it for just being about the KOM.

Personally, I have never ridden at slow speeds in order to just concentrate on a single segment. I agree that it's madness to do the same, but each to their own I guess.

I want to improve all segments, not just one. There are a couple of us at work who have a few common segments that we pass and loads that we don't all do. Naturally, the common ones Te now a bit of an unwritten challenge. Lol.

Here is one:

http://www.strava.com/segments/5073269?filter=overall

Now I am a newbie with just over 1,000 miles done since last August and nothing for 15 years prior to that at least. I am sitting 8th out of 1220, with a colleague sharing 8th from a different solo ride and another in 3rd place. 1st place is nigh on impossible though and significant speed difference!

Now without Strava, I would probably be more lacking in ability as a result of less motivation to sprint.

Top Bottom