How to stop junk mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

I don't mind junk mail too much. I do get to learn of good deals from it, and I put A4 sheets from the letters into my printer if they are blank on one side. For most of my home printing this means I get free printer paper. I put most junk mail in the recyling bag minus the envelope window.

I'm plagued by plastic bags from charities for putting old clothes and bric-a-brac into. In the olden days we used to get about one or two per year of these, but now its about one or two a week.

Jaded

Rhythm Thief said:
Tape the envelope to a brick if necessary, they still have to pay the postage.

Yes, a customer got exasperated with a company my brother worked for. He got his message across by sending a crapped car clutch with the return label. ;)

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
Yes, a customer got exasperated with a company my brother worked for. He got his message across by sending a crapped car clutch with the return label. ;)

I hadnt thought of this sort of action,sounds good.;)

slow down

Doesn't bother me - things with name/address go through the shredder and then into the compost bin, averything else the recycling box which gets collected every two weeks. If you really want to get one back on the credit card companies, send the forms back but to the wrong company (Egg application to Orange, Orange to Egg etc). That was they pay the postage, plus have the hassle of sorting through your junk mail.

Joe

Über Member
Put a note on your door for the papers and flyers. I used to do door to door flyering and would always miss out houses with a note on. Unless it was a rude note, in which case they would get a handful!;)

jay clock

Massive member
I had a call a few mths back

"no I'm not selling, just doing market research...If you had £5000 to spend on your house would you spend it on new windows or a conservatory?"

"Neither, my boyfriend and I are saving up for a bondage dungeon"

"What's that?" [he had a slight foreign accent but was probably in the UK]

I told him to ask his colleagues if they knew what a bondage dungeon was - he didn't but I think someone was listening in to the call, as it all went very quiet! I asked him where he lived and could I have his personal mobile number to be able to invite him over, but surprisingly his interest evaporated and he hung up.....

bonj2

I've managed to stop most of the things like somerfield leaflets etc that get shoved through, but what really annoys me is the seemingly official looking letters with my full name and address on, which are party political canvassing mailshots! Mostly from liberal democrats. It really annoys me how they are allowed to get the electoral roll details even though I am only on the private one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Someone once called our house phone (bill in my name) and when Tom answered, asked "Is that Mr Archer?" He said "No, he's dead, I'm his replacement", which shut them up...

Likewise, when my sister was asked if she was Mrs Martin, (she and partner are not married), she replied, in a sinister tone. "There is no Mrs Martin...." I gather that had the same effect...

Answering the door carrying a large kitchen knife is also good for getting rid of salesmen and Witnesses etc (and quite likely if they happen to call when you're cooking...;))

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
<decides hurridly not to look arch up on spec when in york>

;)

sheddy

Legendary Member
Volvo sent out some circulars recently which were just over the size restrictions. The only way to collect your undelivered 'letter' was to cough up the £1 shortfall at the parcels office. So Volvo has just pissed off thousands of potential customers.......

jonathan ellis

i do one of the following (depending)

1 if i get a phone call which is automated - i google the number
and then store as "put on hold"
so when a 'person' rings me i say "oh sorry just a min could you hold please"

longest so far is 19 mins

my theory is that the sales op gets a break

2 for door step religious sales i say that its a jewish household
and with that they stop

Top Bottom