How to survive in your local bike shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Following todays experience at the LBS

(see here http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14208&page=2)

I wondered if anybody has any advice on how muggins here and any beginners etc can avoid getting fleeced by bad LBS's?

I am thinking about what questions to ask and what to accept /not accept as good practice etc.

I still believe that many LBSs offer a good value for money service and for the most part do not seek to rip off the customer..(.only I havent found one around here yet:sad:)

So perhaps we can put together the 'Cyclechat guide to surviving LBSs'?

dodgy

Single most important thing to do is to use an LBS based on recommendation from someone you trust. Perhaps the one the local club use?

Dave.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need to learn to distinguish between long-established bike shops with experienced staff and rubbish shops with muppets for staff. I know both types here in Lancashire.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you appear to know more than they do then don't go there! Ask detailed questions. If you get vague, evasive or even aggressive answers rather than conciliatory ones spelling out the pros and cons of something don't bother.

red_tom

I think things changed for me when I got a copy of Zinns bike book and I started doing things myself. Whilst there are still some things that I leave to the bike shop (wheel truing for example), it's definitely saved me a lot of money. It's not just doing the work yourself, a better understanding of how it all works helps you when arranging the work with the bike shop (although in this case BTFB, it looks like they were just a bunch of to$$ers).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
After having problems with my rear brake, i contacted Mickle and he gave me some good tips. I'm guessing he will be along soon.
Go in there and tell them exactly whats wrong with your bike. Ask them what they think it is and what could be causing it and what they think could be wrong. Ask straight away how much for the parts, and then ask how much fitted, or ask, is that fitted? See if they can do you abit of a deal.
Best thing to do is talk to them aswell, talk about bikes and try and go techinical, if they start talking like they know what they are talking about then its good. Go in when its busy aswell, see how they are with customers, and see what type of bikes they have.
My LBS has more MTB then road bikes, but he fixes my road bike and other people road bikes well.
I also go by deals aswell, who will let you have it cheaper and if you feel welcome in the shop as soon as you walk in.

Plax

Guru
Apparently the LBS I used (on recomendation), who I found well priced and efficient (not that I would ever name drop I knew XXX) charge a silly amount for changing a puncture. Apparently if they are too stupid to be able to change their own puncture they are stupid enough to pay the price!

Top Bottom