How to take advantage knowing Power Rating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I'm just a novice cyclist but lately became serious with a grp of friends where we raced against each other in social. I used Strava app and it indicates my Average Power. I hv read a few articles in goole trying to figure out what is that and I still don't quite get it. I understand if 2 riders output are the same and riding the same route and every thing being constant, the one with the lighter body weight will hv an advantage esp. when riding uphill. I believed there are alot of analysis going on being the scene and knowing your rival will gives an advantage with instruction given by the Team Manager (something like that if I'm not wrong).

So on a social competition, where loser buy dinner and drink, and everyone of us has access to peep at each others Power Rating in Strava, at the end of the day after knowing all these datas, in layman's term, how can I take advantage of it. Or how can i improve, know my weakness and how to overcome after knowing my Power Rating.

Or lets say a new comer av Power rating is 300W for his last few rides and mine can never exceed 200W (assuming not the same route), does it means no matter how hard I train, its no point to take up a challenge against this new comer. So I better prepare to buy drinks and dinner anyway?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Draft a tractor and trailer for a couple of miles, puts your power reading right up :whistle: The easiest 350 I have ever done http://app.strava.com/segments/2176916

mattobrien

Guru
I suspect, but cannot be certain, that many power readings will be estimates and will vary in accuracy, unless they are actually recorded using a power meter.

The first half of my ride yesterday was faster and easier than the second half, due to a tail / head wind. I am fairly sure that I put in more power on the home leg, but that won't get picked up by Strava as it doesn't know how much wind there was and in what direction.

If you wanted to gauge how you might fare against a new comer, it might be better to look at their rides on Strava and the average speeds they are clocking, both on segments and overall. I have a feeling that might give you a better ideas as to what you are up against.

Also do remember that power doesn't necessarily equal speed.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Given the way Strava seems to jump up and down for similar times would the riders weight come into play on power output ?

Top Bottom