How to temporarily make a tandem out of two bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fudges

I'd love to use a mecanism allowing that.
It would mix the conviviality of a tandem, with the ease of transportation and independence from having two bikes.
Plus it would be cheaper than buying a tandem since we already have the bikes..
Do you know if such a system exists? And if not, is it crazy to dream for one?

Tynan

Veteran
there's a bit more to it that that surely?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I remember seeing a recumbent trike that you could take the front wheel off and hook onto the back of another trike. I think it was on the gadget show.

I don't think it would be particularly feasible with normal bikes though. You'd have to find a way of fixing the steering on the rear bike. Isn't it just easier to ride side by side?

OP
OP
F

Fudges

Thank you for your reactions
smile.gif

My reasons for having a tandem are the following:
- where I live it's forbidden and therefore stressful to ride side by side (city laws);
- being close makes communication easier, and the stoker not having to pay attention to the road can be helpful in situations;
- my girlfriend doesn't bike as much as I do, and on long trips she could use some of my horsepower ^^.
- sometimes she uses transports to come to me and I wish if I had the means to pick her up from there with a tandem;
- if a tandem for two could be achieved easily from two bikes, so could a tandem for more than 2 bikers.. and trekking with a bunch of friends could be even more enjoyable. Ok that may be too far fetched.

Some two part buses manage to turn with 4 axles rather than 2, so it sounds physically doable.
It exist for kids, and it seems recent, so why not for adults?

I remember seeing a recumbent trike that you could take the front wheel off and hook onto the back of another trike. I think it was on the gadget show.

I don't think it would be particularly feasible with normal bikes though. You'd have to find a way of fixing the steering on the rear bike. Isn't it just easier to ride side by side?

The Hase Kettwiesel and the present linked record is not a tandem..... I have no idea what you would call a 93 seater cycle!

hase93.JPG

BAck on topic...

There were a couple of bike linking systems in the mid 80's but they were notoriously ineffective and dangerous.

TBH buy a tandem!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
So, if you got a couple of bikes, dropped the front wheel out of one, yanked the front forks further apart and bolted them to the rear axle of the other (making a weird 3-wheel tandem with an extra pivot half-way along), would it work, or would disaster ensue?

DISCLAIMER - I am not suggesting this would be practical, possible or sensible. If you try it, don't post blaming me for your injuries.
Assuming you're still able to type, that is...

Will1985

Über Member
Wouldn't you be carrying extra chains as well?

It would certainly be an interesting project - presumably the LH cranks would need to be threaded differently. Woudn't the front bike have to also have its drivetrain on the left, so only a fixed gear with tight lockring could work?

Where is it forbidden to ride 2 abreast?

Shame you missed this on eBay - only £1 too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tandem-Bicycle-/250642619032

Mind you, your medical/dental bills might be higher...

I'd love to use a mecanism allowing that.
It would mix the conviviality of a tandem, with the ease of transportation and independence from having two bikes.
Plus it would be cheaper than buying a tandem since we already have the bikes..
Do you know if such a system exists? And if not, is it crazy to dream for one?

In a word, don't. There's a very good reason why this idea isn't commercially available - it's a crap idea, will break the rear triangle of the front bike and is also dangerous.

Top Bottom