How to train for the Alps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You may find that has a negative impact on the braking, unless you have disc or hub brakes...

Its better not to stop too often. After about 20 minutes you will get your second wind which makes life much easier. If you keep stopping you never get to that point. So push through and keep going.

This is probably sound advice if you are one of those people who have got a taxi to the bottom and are riding some carbon fibre thingy - however if you are a touring cyclist and have your home with you a little break to take in the view, have lunch etc is very welcome and works well

Ajay

Veteran
You've posted this in the Touring section, so I'm guessing you're aim is to get to the top in your own time rather than racing all the Dutch and Belgian club riders who'll be on the hill with you!
If this is the case I wouldnt worry about "training", you say you're relatively fit, so just get the miles in between now and then. The big Alpine climbs are long (obviously) but not particularly steep by our standards - rarely above 10%, so there is no need to ride in the "red zone", just find your groove and you'll be fine.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You really do have to keep a careful check on the weather. I did not expect snow in September but we had about 40cm overnight.
There was almost no traffic on the road, there was certainly no cycles and it was as cold as hell. I doubt if a bike would have got down, even with winter tyres on. The snow and rain was almost horizontal and everything was freezing up.

I would suggest July and August to be safe. The previous 2 weeks riding in the alps and dolomites had been in the high 20s. That is how quick it can change.

Steve

theloafer

Legendary Member
I wouldnt worry about "training", you say you're relatively fit, so just get the miles in between now and then. The big Alpine climbs are long (obviously) but not particularly steep by our standards - rarely above 10%, so there is no need to ride in the "red zone", just find your groove and you'll be fine.

we did the alps in 2009..^_^ some of them are longgggggggg:laugh: get your gearing right and the miles in the legs and you should be ok:whistle: as others have said from the bottom to the top the weather can be so diffrent...we did
1 col de la madeleine
2 col du glandon... was ment to do alpe d`huez next but 1 of our group came off down the glandon so some of us missed it out
3 col du noyer
4 col de vars
5 col d`izoard
6 col du lautaret
7 coldu galibier
8 col du telegraph
9 col de l`lseran
10 cormet de roselend
11 col des saises
12 col des aravis
13 col de la columbiere .......
124-1eabd380643afc8648bb483b440db374.jpg had to put on every bit of clothing i had with me.. wind was about 50mph and bloody frozen..:laugh: other pics in albums

Attachments

• 124-1eabd380643afc8648bb483b440db374.jpg
    124-1eabd380643afc8648bb483b440db374.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 43

doog

Its better not to stop too often. After about 20 minutes you will get your second wind which makes life much easier. If you keep stopping you never get to that point. So push through and keep going.

20 minutes ^_^ ? If only it was so easy. Some of these peaks are all day jobs when fully loaded with tent and panniers.

This is probably sound advice if you are one of those people who have got a taxi to the bottom and are riding some carbon fibre thingy - however if you are a touring cyclist and have your home with you a little break to take in the view, have lunch etc is very welcome and works well

Agree. It took me the best part of a day to do my biggest peak and trust me stopping was a joy, not only to drink /eat but also take in the surroundings.

Bodhbh

Guru
I am planning to cycle in the Alps later in the year and am particularly aiming to tackle the Alpe D'Huez. I am relativley fit but not used to climbing (I live in the East of England .... not exactlyl ideal training terrain!!).

Can anyone give any advice on the best places in the UK where I can go riding to train for a climb like the Alpe D'Huez. I appreciate there won't be anywhere quite on that scale but just wondering if there are particularly good training routes that could be good?

Mind, saying you're from the East...a strong headwind in the fens for a few dozen miles can't be bad training for a long climb.

Top Bottom