How to treat a badly scratched frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javelin301

I've just bought a nice Orbit bike. All works well but the frame is extensively scratched revealing the steel beneath the paint. I don't want to repaint it so I'm looking for ideas to keep it in good nick. Kurust or something similar seems to be called for. But after that--wax? If so what wax would you recommend? Or something else maybe? Any ideas gratefully received.

PHOTO_20221117_111845.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Touchup will probably look a mess but it will protect it. Wax etc won't stop rust.

Other option, get it resprayed. Powder coat is the cheapest

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Autoglym my steel bikes, but it won't protect from rust - just makes washing easier. MrSheen i also really good, and leaves a fine coat of silicone, which again, won't protect from rust but makes cleaning easy. Mucoff protect and shine is another product, silicone based, but washes off.

Use rust remedy (see above) then paint it using touch or something
Then sand it smooth and put some sort of wrap on the bits that need it
or maybe just stickers
just depends on what area and whether or not it can be done and not look rubbish

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
The “gold standard” of protective wax used by museums world wide is Renaissance Wax, blended to be non-reactive and not break down over time. But even the best wax is not considered a substitute for a good paint finish.

Top Bottom