How to treat a badly scratched frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I use carnauba car wax on my bike frames; it's great for all the usual reasons (protects the paint, makes it easlier to remove mud etc during washing) however is bit of a pain to apply given the convoluted shape of a bike frame. The frame needs to be dry, and the wax is best applied when the bike's stripped for better access.

It's unlikely to protect bare steel against rust though. FWIW, if I ever get around to it I plan to get some touchup paint mixed for the Fuji, treat the rust sport with phosphoric acid then touch up the chips with a matchstick...

OP
OP
J

Javelin301

I use carnauba car wax on my bike frames; it's great for all the usual reasons (protects the paint, makes it easlier to remove mud etc during washing) however is bit of a pain to apply given the convoluted shape of a bike frame. The frame needs to be dry, and the wax is best applied when the bike's stripped for better access.

It's unlikely to protect bare steel against rust though. FWIW, if I ever get around to it I plan to get some touchup paint mixed for the Fuji, treat the rust sport with phosphoric acid then touch up the chips with a matchstick...

Thanks for that. Think I've got the idea now. Rust converter on then decide

I have two steel framed bikes and use nail varnish to disguise and seal chips and scrapes. Quick and effective.

Superdrug have a great selection of colours, but strangely are a bit off about me bringing my bike in to get a perfect colour match.:laugh:

I did that just after having a hormone injection at my doctor's for my prostrate . After the injection we had to go into the chemists to pick up a prescription . Whilst waiting I went to have a look at the nail varnishes. My wife burst out laughing ! :ohmy:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Could you get it turfed?

download.jpeg

byegad

Legendary Member
Could you get it turfed?

View attachment 668580

It'll be a beggar to mow and weed!

Petrichorwheels

I know it's an old-tip but can I ask what the particular merits of nail varnish are?
Is it particularly hard wearing?
More than humbrol type paint? (I used some on a ding on my bike)
If it is I fear for what women are putting on themselves in all those nail bars - do they get it taken off with a blowtorch?

Top Bottom