How would you change your life ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've always been conflicted by two apparently contradictory 'truisms' -

1. If we don't learn from our past mistakes we are in danger of repeating them
2. The future starts a second from now, the past is dead: we should live in the here and now

It took me some time to come to the point in life where I realised I'd done enough of 1 - spending time going over things I wished I could change about the past - to be able to appreciate the need to focus on 2.

I think, in my case at least, there was a time in my life where I needed to reflect. I had to think about and deal with the mistakes I'd made in the past (nothing fundamental: just those nagging 'what if' scenarios that exist for us all) before I could start focussing on the now. If you'd asked me then what I would change, I'd have had a long list. If you ask me now, I'd say nothing - except maybe (on really bad days at work), roll on retirement! :ohmy:

I would change the effect that the 'Careers Advisor' had on me, when I was about 14 years old.

He asked what I wanted to 'be', and snorted at my reply, saying "I should think of something else Shaun, You'll never make it."

I'd really wanted to be a Marine Biologist, I'd loved Jacques Cousteau on the TV, and I'd read books in the Library.........

Que Sera...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The one thing that I wouldn't change about my life is cycling.

I would change virtually everything about my life. As far as cycling goes - when my bike got stolen when I was aged 13, I should have spent the insurance money on a new bike, rather than buying my first hifi.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My wife married me hoping to change me. She failed miserably :wacko:

I married her hoping she'd not change. She's managed that perfectly :thumbsup:

No need to change anything then - lucky me!

buggi

Bird Saviour
A split decision that i once made, that ended in a traumatic experience, and it had a knock on effect to everything else in my life. i sometimes wonder what kind of person i would be, had i trusted my gut instinct instead.

Brahan

Über Member
My memory is terrible. Shocking really just how bad is it when I'm asked to remember something that doesn't really concern me. I mean if someone was to say that they would give me £10 for calling them at a certain time then I'd do it 100%. Its like there's a bit of my brain that only allows the selfish stuff to be prompted.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Hmmm. I can think of a few junctures in my life that it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if I'd made a different decision...

When I was 17 I applied for an Apprenticeship in Avionics with the RAF. I undertook all the exams/interviews and passed and got given the nod for commencing the programme.... they told me details would be with me soon.

A couple of weeks later I got a letter telling me that the programme started on the following Monday and to be in London at the relevant place on the morning of that day. Unfortunately they hadn't got any lodgings organised for me so I'd have to sort that out myself.... the letter arrived on the Friday morning and they wanted me to pack, say my farewells, up sticks and move to The Big Smoke without actually having anywhere to go to!!

I pretty much bottled it and decided to go to College to do my A Levels instead... but often wondered where I'd be now had I managed to overcome those final few obstacles and do the training.

As it happens though I am pretty happy with my lot. I have a loving Wife, 2 fantastic kids, a reasonable job which I (mostly) enjoy, a nice house, live in a good area and have great friends who I can rely on, should the need arise... as long as McVities continue to make Jaffa Cakes then the world will be fine. :rolleyes:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Sh4rkyBloke said:
As it happens though I am pretty happy with my lot. I have a loving Wife, 2 fantastic kids, a reasonable job which I (mostly) enjoy, a nice house, live in a good area and have great friends who I can rely on, should the need arise... as long as McVities continue to make Jaffa Cakes then the world will be fine. :ohmy:

Pretty much exactly the same here, although (no offence Sharkster) with regards to the Jaffa's I could take them or leave them.

Having said that I did break off my wedding (I was 24) 3 weeks before the big day, sure it was one of the best decisions, but I do sometimes wonder "what if".

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Wigsie said:
Pretty much exactly the same here, although (no offence Sharkster) with regards to the Jaffa's I could take them or leave them.

Having said that I did break off my wedding (I was 24) 3 weeks before the big day, sure it was one of the best decisions, but I do sometimes wonder "what if".
Shaun, ban this man immediately... oh wait, hang on... if you leave them then there are more for me. Stick around old chum! :ohmy:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Like Sh4rkyBloke, I could have joined the RAF (being short, they wanted me to fly fighters), but by that stage I had become a pacifist... later I almost retrained as a primatologist... I could have given everything up to live on a back-to-the-land commune (a couple of times in fact)... but most of the decisions I have made (good and bad) were motivated by women. It's worked out in the end! I wouldn't change anything now.

ChrisKH

Guru
I do wish I had done things differently when I was younger and have pondered (and continue to ponder) about bad times in my life. I would like to break that cycle and move on.

It's all very well knowing you should live for today, but your sub-conscious keeps bringing back what happened in the past and you feel bad just thinking about it. That I would like to change.

grhm

Veteran
Dayvo said:
I have a tendency to be a bit of a procrastinator, and wish I could do something about it NOW! :ohmy:

I too have a habit of procrastinating (what do you think I'm doing on here after lunch has finished?). I'd love to do able to manage my time better - if I'd jsut get on a do it, it'd be done and I could choiose to do something else or just enjoy the time left.

Other than that, I too wouldn't change much. I'd love to be able to earn twice as much, and I'd love to only work half the hours I do, but I think I've struck a happy medium - I have a work/life balance and spend more time with my family than some. Sure we could use more money, and would like a bigger house & garden, but the bills are paid and theres enough food.

All I want is to be able to make better use of the time I have.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
"It is far better to regret the things you have done in life than to regret the things you havent."

Said to me years ago by a very very wise woman.

My Nan.

Top Bottom