How would you cycle end to end in France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Bsically just a straight line down mate...around to the east of Paris >Lyon>Arles>Montpellier...The roads are really good surfaces and not much traffic , I camped in municipal campsites and on a football pitch! I think Vernon did a very similar route as well.

Album here:
http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/le-french-tour-de-boab.212/view

ok thanks, great pics and weather. I did some cycling in the South this year, fantastic. Excited about planning this mini tour :smile:

lozcs

Guru
I did Roscoff to Montpellier with a friend last May/June.

9 days of cycling, stopped at campsites first 4 days then family home for a couple of days rest then a family friends in Toulouse then a florists (no campsites and they kindly put us up!) then a F1 hotel..

If you want to see our route look at my endomondo profile in my sig and look back to last May/June.

Loved it all..

Do it!

Simon_m

Guru
I did Roscoff to Montpellier with a friend last May/June.

9 days of cycling, stopped at campsites first 4 days then family home for a couple of days rest then a family friends in Toulouse then a florists (no campsites and they kindly put us up!) then a F1 hotel..

If you want to see our route look at my endomondo profile in my sig and look back to last May/June.

Loved it all..

Do it!
hmmm not sure how to do that, can you post the link to your route? Thanks

Simon_m

Guru
map1.jpg map2.jpg map3.jpg map4.jpg map5.jpg

Ah lovely, thanks for that. Ah so you went down the West coast route, not come across that yet, most I have seen have gone right down the center, will see if can post some pics of the maps I have grabbed

nomdeplume

Consider a trip I did a few years ago from Royan, down the Gironde estuary to Bordeaux then onto the Canal lateral de la Garonne to Toulouse than onto the Canal de Midi to Sete and the Med.
Canals are great for cycling, no cars, flattish, go through nice country.
Northern France is well provided with canals but I have yet to try them.

Simon_m

Guru
Consider a trip I did a few years ago from Royan, down the Gironde estuary to Bordeaux then onto the Canal lateral de la Garonne to Toulouse than onto the Canal de Midi to Sete and the Med.
Canals are great for cycling, no cars, flattish, go through nice country.
Northern France is well provided with canals but I have yet to try them.

ah yes, I found a website link about canal cycle rides in France, sounds idilic

nomdeplume

Still on the subject of cycling canals in France, check out this site: www.fluvial.com. You will find details of 'fluviacartes' (maps of canals). Also consider the book 'Inland Waterways of France' by David Edwards-May. This is aimed squarely at boaties but also gives info as to chemins de halage (towpaths).

ChrisBailey

Last year I rode the West Coast route from the Atlantic Spanish border

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/CB2012B

Following that wonderful experience and much research I planned to go North to South this year, guarantees the bike is OK, no packing/unpacking until the end and then you fly back. Work commitments scuppered the trip but I still plan to do this route, maybe next year.

Basically you take the Newhaven Dieppe ferry and then follow many of the famous French rivers, mainly the Loire, Ardeche, Rhone and (for me an ascent of Mt Ventoux after a week or so to get fit enough) and ends up in Marseille where I will fly back. Plenty of campsites and many interesting geographical / historical highlights to target.

Follow the black dots.

Franec 2013 V1.JPG

Chris

Simon_m

Guru
Dam it looks wet, not the canal ;)

I think France would be much better, warmer and different as the surrounding scenery would change daily.

Top Bottom