How would you improve central London Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Etern4l

Nope, then you are still prioritising motorised traffic over pedestrians in central London. That’s the wrong way round. If you want segregation for cycling, the space needs to be taken from motorised vehicles to ensure we are promoting the correct priorities.
Good luck with your radical approach, hope it ever does more good than harm.

Etern4l

It hasn’t been heated just myself and others have disagreed with your points, such as you saying using a phone when driving is fine. Hardly going to improve cycling in central London is it?
Even if 100s, rather than a few, people disagreed, I would still prefer to see some reputable science to back the opposing view up. I'm hitting my time limit here, enjoy your almost inevitably forthcoming last comment on the matter :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Over the last few years, I've spent a few weeks cycling in Amsterdam. The locals are expert at negotiating the incredibly crowded cycle lanes and seem to have powers of telepathy that prevent collisions. I found them to be far scarier than busy central London traffic.
I fully appreciate that some people want to be entirely segregated from motorised traffic. I hope they find an accommodation with other interested parties, but please don't automatically assume that because I ride a bike I am an activist for your particular jihad.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From my experience riding through the burbs today I'd say the number one improvement would be if a lower percentage of drivers weren't utter <stop in deference to the swear filter> and looked where they were going.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No, you can take a quarter of the lane from the cars, and the equal part from the pavement, on both sides of the road. By insisting on whole lane or nothing, we are likely to end up with the latter. Food for thought.
If you indicate you will accept half a lane, you'll get a quarter or less. Better with no lane than a dangerously narrow one.

... segregated ... jihad.
I don't think protected cycle lanes should be likened to either of those very loaded terms. It's unhelpful for discussing cycling and a bit disrespectful to those who suffer them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you indicate you will accept half a lane, you'll get a quarter or less. Better with no lane than a dangerously narrow one.

I don't think protected cycle lanes should be likened to either of those very loaded terms. It's unhelpful for discussing cycling and a bit disrespectful to those who suffer them.
That's a pretty pathetic effort at filleting a post. Shame on you.

Etern4l

Over the last few years, I've spent a few weeks cycling in Amsterdam. The locals are expert at negotiating the incredibly crowded cycle lanes and seem to have powers of telepathy that prevent collisions. I found them to be far scarier than busy central London traffic.
I fully appreciate that some people want to be entirely segregated from motorised traffic. I hope they find an accommodation with other interested parties, but please don't automatically assume that because I ride a bike I am an activist for your particular jihad.
Well I thought you like cycling challenges? Or was the risk ultimately too low to keep the adrenaline flowing (bent bike vs a trip to the morgue)?

How often do serious cycling injuries result from collisions on those busy Amsterdam cycle lanes? Some stats comparing that to London road cycling accident rates would be ideal.

OK, if it's a negotiating technique then perhaps, but ultimately my point is that half a car lane would be more than enough to comfortably handle reasonable one-way cycle traffic. Of course, in particularly busy areas further down the cycling adoption line we might need 2 lanes!

I would still start with the baby step of getting cars off parking in the existing cycle lanes.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Read Peter Walker, Bike Nation. Lots of research from the world over proving the benefits of removing cars from cities. Bit dated now but still holds true. Cars shouldn't be 1st choice in a modern society when so much evidence proves the problem they cause.

Etern4l

You are preaching to the choir. The problem is that you can't expect to transition to a bike nation in a big bang. It will take a gradual and nuanced approach. The rising cost of car ownership and things like fuel shortages might help to some extent, unless electrics and hydrogen cars start seriously catching on.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Even if 100s, rather than a few, people disagreed, I would still prefer to see some reputable science to back the opposing view up. I'm hitting my time limit here, enjoy your almost inevitably forthcoming last comment on the matter :smile:

There‘s plenty of science and the effects of using a phone is pretty shocking. It should have no place for someone driving. They are a danger to themselves and more importantly a danger to vulnerable road users. Not something you want in central London if you are serious about improving conditions.

Etern4l

There‘s plenty of science and the effects of using a phone is pretty shocking. It should have no place for someone driving. They are a danger to themselves and more importantly a danger to vulnerable road users. Not something you want in central London if you are serious about improving conditions.

Obviously, it's a waste of time with you, since I asked a few times already, but will try one more time: can you demonstrate an example of specific research regarding the effects of phone use while the vehicle is stationary?

classic33

Leg End Member

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Obviously, it's a waste of time with you, since I asked a few times already, but will try one more time: can you demonstrate an example of specific research regarding the effects of phone use while the vehicle is stationary?
There is ample research on the risks of using a phone while driving. I'll leave that as homework for you.

As to the question of whether the car is transitioning or about to transition from stationary to moving or not, the driver is in control throughout: it is all "driving". You may as well ask whether there is any specific research on the risks of mobile phone use while driving in Hertfordshire, or when driving on a Tuesday, or when driving while wearing yellow socks.

While you are in control of the car you are driving. It is your responsibility to devote your full attention to the task at hand. Some drivers like to think that they are special exceptions and that this doesn't apply to them. I'm a skilled driver they may say - a couple of pints won't affect me. Or, I was momentarily stationary at the time during the red phase of the lights or waiting at a junction or roundabout, they may say, a quick peek at my phone can't do any harm, surely. Or, I was cruising in clear conditions in light traffic on the motorway, surely I can look away for a bit.

Wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom