How's my Driving ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

These stickers are just a way of keeping the points off the driving licenses of the company drivers.

Honestly, what these stickers encourage people to do is to call some random number connected to a switchboard operator who notes the number and offense, which then might as well get flushed down the loo.

It is a good way of companies to keep their premiums down on named drivers without any risk of penalty.

Might as well stick Blue Bands on each corner with a clipboard for all the good it does.......

I can't see it keeping points off licences. If a member of public witnesses an offence (without aggravating factor of an RTC), even if they called the police instead you are unlikely to get a 'points on licences' scenario such as court, as it's one word v another.

The hope would be that companies that use the scheme genuinely care about the image their drivers are portraying and act on the info given.

Having never rang one of those numbers I couldn't comment on what feedback you get. Wonder if anyone here has?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Almost every truck and delivery van in South Africa has this sticker but standards of driving there aren't too brilliant and company vehicles do get abused so it may have a sobering effect on some commercial drivers.

Don't think it would work in Nigeria though - the switchboard would be blocked solid with people calling to report drivers going along the pavement, across central reservations and up dual-carriageways the wrong way.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I can't see it keeping points off licences. If a member of public witnesses an offence (without aggravating factor of an RTC), even if they called the police instead you are unlikely to get a 'points on licences' scenario such as court, as it's one word v another.

The hope would be that companies that use the scheme genuinely care about the image their drivers are portraying and act on the info given.

Having never rang one of those numbers I couldn't comment on what feedback you get. Wonder if anyone here has?

Is there a chance that someone in one of these vehicles goes and causes an accident but the victim doesn't get the number, however, the same vehicle displaying poor driving skills further up the road, gets it called in and put on a database thus linking them together by some eagle eyed sleuth ?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have reported very bad and dangerous diving to the Police and seen the Traffic Police pull the vehicle over further up the motorway. Depends on the locality though. Manchester Police acted quickly whereas London Police threatened to arrest me for wasting their time.

I have also reported bad driving, not to the 'How's my driving?' number but to the company directly. I have had a few calls back telling me what action has been taken, from just having a word to sacking a persistent offender due to too many calls about them.
Many, though not all, companies don't like their vehicles, with their name on the side, being driven badly or without due consideration to other road users.

Is there a chance that someone in one of these vehicles goes and causes an accident but the victim doesn't get the number, however, the same vehicle displaying poor driving skills further up the road, gets it called in and put on a database thus linking them together by some eagle eyed sleuth ?

I doubt it... The police certainly don't have general access to it, though in a fatal it could potentially be a line of enquiry that was followed, as they are dealt with as thoroughly as murder investigations.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

My programmer mates job in Glos Plod was to write (SAS) code to knit all the different systems together for purposes like these.

Top Bottom