How's people coping financially at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
One of the things about the economic impact is how disparate it is.

I'm working from home, income completely unaffected. Mrs Tuesday does anyway and is self employed and somewhat down but not massively.

Outgoings significantly down, day to day simple stuff like not buying sandwiches for lunch through not buying clothes, and all the way to not going away on holiday.

I've not calculated it, but I'm sure we'll be net better off.

Which seems very unfair when for a significant proportion of the populace it's a total financial disaster.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We are at the VERY fortunate end of the spectrum.

Both retired, secure pensions. At the Spend not Accumulate stage of life, so are actually better off at the moment as we are very limited on what we can spend money on - no holidays, pubs, restaurants, theatre, gigs etc...

We've been using part of the money we are not spending by going to Booker Cash and Carry every few weeks, filling the car boot and taking to a local food bank

Pretty much the same situation here although we both still dabble in the jobs market. With our trips to the pub reduced to zero we are racking up even more money for the kids to squander when we have both shuffled off.

I like the Booker C & C idea. :okay:

Jody

Stubborn git
Fortunately I'm still working at the moment with only normal expenditure which means I can save a good % of my wage. My partner has been furloughed from her opticians, although that isn't a bad thing with the close proximity she was expected to work with the public.

Similarly to GlasgowCyclist we have been treating ourselves to some nice food.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've not calculated it, but I'm sure we'll be net better off.

Which seems very unfair when for a significant proportion of the populace it's a total financial disaster.
It's easy to think like that, but remember if the economy was booming and most people were doing well but you had some bad luck and struggling to manage, few people would spare you much sympathy. You have to make hay while the sun shines, we all have our ups and downs.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
To be honest not a clue, I doubt we are spending as much, certainly not earning anything at all as we shut both our incomes down on the 16th March, who knows what June will bring us, all in all not worrying about it for some odd reason. Certainly not sure what sort of trade I am going back to when things open up again but I was looking to slow down more anyways.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Nothing's changed for me. I get enough JSA and PIP to comfortably live off. In fact I'm better off. By that I mean that I don't have to sign on now due to the JC only being open to the staff who work there. I also think that my PIP review will be long delayed,as there'll be such a long backlog when they eventually start them again.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
No difference financially but spending a lot on paint at the moment but next to nothing on fuel. I filled the tank up three weeks ago and have only used 7 litres so far. I am really enjoying not being governed by the clock and most of the time, I don't even know what the date is or what time it is.
Get up when I feel like it and do as little or as much DIY work as I want. The only drawback is not being able to see the kids /grand children.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Must say, trying to not worry about what's going to happen in 6-12 months, and longer. Just looking at the immediate future.
Yes. We’re both working full time for now. I can see potential redundancies coming in the Autumn if work levels don’t bounce back due to the general downturn.
Not spending £4-5k on a family holiday this year will be a bonus!

Company cut pay by 30% across the board and work load seems to have gone up. Still I feel lucky to be able to still have a paying gig during these interesting times and to be able to do my job from home. Still able to cover the mortgage and pay the bills, though I'm worried about saving cash for the kid to start Uni in 18 months. I'm quite worried about the company folding this year as I only have savings to carry us for maybe 3 months. I've already started looking for a new gig, just in case this one disappears.

I've been cycling loads as we have no restrictions on exercise time out of the house, but now my bike needs a new bottom bracket and I don't think I have the cash for it right now. It's a damn press fit and I will need both the bb and the fitting tool as my LBS is not taking repairs at this time.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Self Employed. My work has dried up as i fix and service electronics and watches. All my backlog is cleared and im twiddling my thumbs but it could be worse as it is for many. I can put food on the table and that is all that matters. I am however, finding time to play my organ and do things which i never had the time to do before. Me and my family are assessing our life choices and are considering new things, which i think is a good thing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SIL was lucky, in that she lost her job as a swimming teacher immediately (private small company no furlough) but managed to get a job at MIL's nursing home doing laundry - hard work, but she can at least wave at at her mum, otherwise no family contact (other than phone). SIL/BIL have own business and seem OK at the moment - managing to get stuff delivered to people instead, and using email etc (no on-line ordering system).

Brother is a dentist, with own practice, so can't treat patients !

vickster

Legendary Member
Self Employed. My work has dried up as i fix and service electronics and watches. All my backlog is cleared and im twiddling my thumbs but it could be worse as it is for many. I can put food on the table and that is all that matters. I am however, finding time to play my organ and do things which i never had the time to do before. Me and my family are assessing our life choices and are considering new things, which i think is a good thing!
@Fnaar :ohmy:

Top Bottom