How's people coping financially at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
although i’m on furlough, i’m very lucky to be on 100% of salary. mrs alecsetc is still working, but we have the additional expense of our eldest camping on our dining room floor as her digs in london are even less suitable for working remotely in.

not doing too much home-schooling as the 2nd eldest is doing a-levels, and should be getting on with it with minimal intervention, 3rd eldest is in year 8, which is a transition year, and the youngest is in year 5 and reads for fun.

we have really good walking and cycling routes available from the doorstep so all in all, whilst i’ve been very demotivated and bored today, i am one of the lucky ones in this…

Milzy

Guru
We are virtually saving my lost 20% in other ways. Wife had a small pay increase. It's what will come a few months down the line that's worrying.
The government will have to tax us more somehow and will struggling companies lay people off?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's good to hear positive things here. Just done another 50 mile ride today which has taken up the afternoon. All on one bottle of water and spending no money.
Hopefully things will slowly get back to normal soon where we can all moan about work again. I haven't taken any holidays this year from work, and if by some miracle they do keep me on, i think i would feel guilty even asking for one at somepoint in the future months. After all I've already had 7 weeks off

Julia9054

Guru
Both teachers working from home and in school on a rota so still getting paid.
Both boys have come to live with us. Al and the boys love to cook so we are spending considerably more on food with two extra mouths to feed and buying more expensive ingredients.
Did the end of the month accounts with a certain amount of trepidation but it turns out that despite the extra food, we have spent less than normal.
For the boys, their income has been affected badly as they are freelance musicians so we are happy to help by feeding them in the meantime. They are still paying rent on their places in Manchester

Slick

Guru
That's good to hear positive things here. Just done another 50 mile ride today which has taken up the afternoon. All on one bottle of water and spending no money.
Hopefully things will slowly get back to normal soon where we can all moan about work again. I haven't taken any holidays this year from work, and if by some miracle they do keep me on, i think i would feel guilty even asking for one at somepoint in the future months. After all I've already had 7 weeks off
Hopefully you didn't meet any fellow cycle charters demanding to see your papers for cycling that distance. :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not bad for us. Mr WD is retired. I'm Not old enough yet but I do have a small private pension. We are doing better with the cost of food as MR WD stays in the car while I do the shopping, so we are not spending as much. All in all the same as usual.

Slick

Guru
I'm still working so not a lot has changed other than much less expense on fuel and the like but definitely eating much more so spending a bit more at the supermarket. Even I have succumbed to a bit of online shopping for bits for the bike to let me service them and even the golf clubs were treated to a new set of grips. Got to do something with your downtime.

I am on a pension, and am currently spending less than normal. Hardly any fuel for the car, no breakfasts out on a morning walk, and no money spent in pubs ( we normally sing at least 3 nights a week at different pubs).
Mrs S has a long list of building works to be done, so all the savings will be diverted into the pocket of a local carpenter when lockdown lifts!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
15% salary cut from 1st April, not as bad as some out there. Up until Friday had been going to work on my shifts, but now on 12 weeks working from home as got a vulnerable letter.
Massive changes coming at work, VS is on the table, SWMBO and I reckon it's a few years too early as still 2 teenagers in school. On the plus side, SWMBO is still on full money and continuing to work as a TA keeping tabs on the key workers kids.

Top Bottom