How's people coping financially at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I lived by the old adage, turnovers vanity and profit is sanity.

I could have written those words, perfect. 45 years in business here, two customers now have shut the doors owing me a few bob, nothing serious yet though.

Last edited:
Not really saving on the alcohol as I am having deliveries from different small cider makers round the country. Expensive.
I might end up better off as I managed to get a decent amount invested into the stockmarket at very good prices. Although that's relative to the past who knows where the economy is going and therefore the stockmarket.
On the other hand the few investments in peer to peers I have are not doing that well. Not expected to loose capital just locked in and I would rather have the cash.
Daughters appear to be doing okay. One has had her wages reduced by 38% (part timed her then furloughed her) firm have said they will be making redundancies so they are in some sort of consultancy period. At this point they can't tell anyone who is going to be made redundant. She wanted to know how much she would get, they wouldn't tell her, she got annoyed with them. Eventually they said she didn't need to know and not to tell her colleagues that. Her partner will get the full self employed rate. Whatever that is. Just changed mortgages to cheaper rate. So they will be okay. Although I have told her to look for another job. Her firm meets the definition of a zombie company... with ease.
The other one is in charge of mortgage advisors supposedly they will be back at work shortly but she will work from home. Therefore she can finish of ruining the garden with a decking project!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Working from home so still on full pay, just got a pay rise too, so £46/month better off. Not spending on fuel, or going out, or "grabbing some lunch" at work. It's all saving me quite a bit. And i got £82 credit for my gas, so have had that refunded. It says my electricity is £202 in credit too so i hope I'll get that back. This has allowed me to spend out on stuff for my bathroom. Isn't paint expensive!
Also being on a better diet now, I'm pretty much eating meat, cheese, salad and greens which goes a long way for what you pay for

Ripple

Veteran
Still working. Used to do 6 - 7 days a week, now I do only 1 - 3 days a week. Good thing is that I don't need to get up at 4 am every morning (I hate it :angry: ). Bad thing - if normal life won't be back before September I will be looking for a cosy bushes to live in. Unless I will start my own money printing business (tsss ...)

Still using my car (no car - no job, simple). Fuel consumption went down about 50%.

I'm spending less money on food - McDonalds is closed. :cry:

MarkF

Guru
MrsF is working from home and me at the hospital, we both entered the public service when we paid the mortgage off and we have no debts/loans, the idea was easy street to retirement and to see the kids though uni, best decison ever made! After 30 years of stressful occupations we spend an awful lot on enjoying ourselves so for us, we've more disposable income right now, not that we've anything to dispose of it on.....

Although I work around the virus every day, I never worry about being infected, but I do worry an awful lot about people & their childfren suffering financially & I particularly worry about their futures.

Also being on a better diet now, I'm pretty much eating meat, cheese, salad and greens which goes a long way for what you pay for

We just can't be bothered to queue so now shop in Bingley, they have a Sainsburys, Co-op, Aldi & Lidl all within about a 200m radius, so no waiting. We go more often and just grab a basket of good stuff, the shopping bill & food waste has gone way down.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
We are in the fortunate position of being retired and (reasonably) healthy. We get nearly full state pension which TBH ain't too bad. I have a small (£3K per year) pension on top of that plus some savings due to selling my small company before retiring...not mega bucks but a decent cushion.
Being retired brings mixed blessings as we have less expenditure and more time but really, who wants to get old.
If I had a crystal ball which told me when we would kick the bucket we could plan better but our aim is now to help our 2 children (and grandchildren).
So, in answer to the OP, financially we are OK.

WFH for me, much better off as no travel but also alas not paying for dance lessons or nights out. I am busy with work and no chance of me being furloughed. ( Telecomms Industry) . My partner works for the DWP and is still full time in the office and unfortunately has to deal with all the people who are financially disressed claiming Universal credit. If you want to hear about people well and truly financially in trouble she can tell you a tale or two or 3 or 4 etc.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just found out I am going to get something hopefully under the self employment bit, whilst my wife will get nothing. this due to the income she gets from my business (which she earns) is more than she gets from her business, she is not on PAYE so cannot be furloughed. A slight kick in the balls.

Gunk

Guru
We are fortunate, Mrs Gunk works for herself and that income has not been affected. I’ve been furloughed. We’re not spending any money except food so we’re very lucky, I know some are really struggling.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We are financially secure whatever happens. Jannie is retired and I prefer to keep working. We are bombed out with work. People still want their new sails. We got a bonus for March and April. What happens after the summer holidays is still an unknown. But Im fortunate not to have to worry about it.

Top Bottom