How's people coping financially at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Have you checked to see if you qualify, first time i checked it said not, my accountant then checked and it had changed to yes.
Yes I checked and do qualify.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Very fortunate. Mrs B took early retirement a few years ago, so her income is unchanged. I'm working from home, but work has increased as support staff have been redeployed elsewhere and I'm having the inconvenience and workarounds of security systems designed for occasional not daily home working.
Child 2 being home all the time is probably the most permanent pressure. And her being ill during the current plague crisis caused strained relationships.
Mentally, also fortunate in that we have a reasonably sized garden as a break and can get out for open countryside walks. I genuinely feel for those who don't have that facility. I know at least two colleagues live in high rise city centre flats. One doesn't have a balcony and the other when not working, is either going to concerts, or travelling to every Manchester City game. So he will be saving money, but going up the wall.

(the fitter-looking chap is a German grand-slam doubles champ)
1588768298412.png

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Cool, I love the Hammond sound. Got a mate who's played it in bands for years :okay:
Didn't play in a band for too long and did a few gigs for a small while, i jammed with a bassist a number of years but nothing ever came of it... I went into self employment and time just melted away. I guess that's how it goes for most but i enjoy playing it and that's all that matters.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Coping atm but if we dont go back soon and the government reduces furlough to 60 % i may as well give the house keys to the bank

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've received news today that I'm being furloughed for another 3 weeks to the 1st of June. I've also heard the government is considering reducing it 60%. It looks like beans on toast now for the next few weeks

Slick

Guru
I've received news today that I'm being furloughed for another 3 weeks to the 1st of June. I've also heard the government is considering reducing it 60%. It looks like beans on toast now for the next few weeks
I would try not to worry about the 60% thing for now. Hopefully it's more of a tool to wean everyone off the scheme and back to work. I know it's easier said than done.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The more people die from the virus , the cheaper it becomes for the government, especially for people on pensions. Simple mathematics. Forcing people to go back to work by reducing their income means increasing the risk of the pandemic taking off again with all the risks involved. If you can afford to wait and see, stay safe and stay in.

Zanelad

Guru
Doing OK. I'm furloughed and the company are making up the 20%. Little to spend money on other than food so probably saving a liitle more than usual each month. Just hoping that there will be a job to go back to. Being 4 years off retirement means there's no mortgage, and luckily no debt other than a hundred or so on the crefit card from online shopping for bits for the bike..

Mrs Z doesn't work so her circumstances haven't changed. One good thing is that our daughter has stopped "borrowing" money from me. She must think that things are tighter than they are. I'll not break that illusion just yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
That hand to mouth existence is probably a tax thing, money being siphoned off before the tax man gets it.
My BIL works for a multi millionaire and during a rare discussion with him about another small business my BIL knows of that had a substantial amount of cash sloshing around in it, the multi millionaire replied (to the effect of).... 'Fools, you should NEVER EVER have much surplus cash floating around in a company'
I assume your analogy re the taxman hits the nail on the head.

Slick

Guru
My BIL works for a multi millionaire and during a rare discussion with him about another small business my BIL knows of that had a substantial amount of cash sloshing around in it, the multi millionaire replied (to the effect of).... 'Fools, you should NEVER EVER have much surplus cash floating around in a company'
I assume your analogy re the taxman hits the nail on the head.
That's exactly right, that and protecting hard earned cash should the company go pop. I was involved in a number of others going to the wall and I became a bit if an expert at recognising it.

Top Bottom